Part Two- Books and Photographs

“Alright dear, go in there and have a shower, it looks like you haven’t bathed in years.”

That wasn’t true of course, I had snuck into houses that were unlocked at times and scrubbed most of the dirt off, but living in a decrepit old house day in and day out had made me more than a little mucky. I pulled the shirt over my head and took off the trousers. Sthyss curled up on top of the towel I had been given and hissed soothingly, I soaked my hair rubbing in the shampoo, and then rinsed it out, Sthyss’ big eyes watching as he commented on how, like him; I had grown. “That has grown too.” He hissed carefully, I looked over my shoulder and realised he was right, the dirty smudge that had once been just that- a smudge, was not a smudge any longer. It was beginning to take on more of a shape, and it was definitely not something I was happy about. When people saw it, they would always call me a freak or laugh or hide from me, and then bad things happened, accidents that sometimes I couldn’t control, others that I had controlled completely, all had resulted in the other children distancing themselves from me.

If we stay here what will we do next week?” Sthyss asked interrupting my thoughts, I stood still and shivered lightly, “I don't know yet. Maybe they won’t notice. Maybe it isn't a big deal here.” I was being optimistic, people had always noticed and it had always been a big deal, I was going to have to leave this place and find my way back to the hovel.

I think you shouldn’t try to change into a snake while you’re here. Even though it is much better a body than this one, it draws attention.” He thought aloud.

You’re right as always.” I answered. Professor McGonagall had already been scared by what I could do and it seemed that even here I was indeed unusual. “I don't know if it’s a good idea to trust these people.” I said as I turned off the shower, and wrapped myself in the towel I had been given with the nurse lady-Madame Pomfrey as she’d introduced herself. I had also been given some new clothes to wear that were a lot nicer than my other clothes were and as I put them on I felt dry and warm. I picked up my old clothes and waited for Sthyss to slither up across the floor and up my leg until he reached my waist where he sat like a belt. “You smell good.” He commented, which meant that he was also very content.

Thank you,” I said, opening the door and placing my old clothes in the basket I had been told to put them in, I was definitely feeling a little happier, and as I scratched the birthmark on my back I remembered to be thankful that I hadn’t been undressed, I really didn’t want anyone seeing my birthmark, it was yet another thing that made me different.

“Are you finished already?” Madame Pomfrey asked as she bustled over. I nodded and smiled, she frowned when she saw Sthyss. “Professor McGonagall said that she would be waiting in her office, come with me.” She lead me out of the doors and out into a long corridor that branched off at the end into smaller ones. “Interesting,” Sthyss said, tightening around my waist, I smiled in acknowledgement. We reached a door and after a quick knock on the thick wood there was a reply. “Enter.” I heard from the other side. I was tensed up though I was unsure as to why, “You don't trust her,” Sthyss answered my unspoken question I pushed open the door and stepped inside. It was an office like any other I'd seen, (there'd been a few) and had a bright window on one side of the room that let in a lot of light.

“Imogene, shut the door and sit.” I did as she said, Sthyss slid off me and wrapped around the back of the chair I sat on. “Imogene you’re a witch.” She said calmly but seemed to be waiting for some sort of reaction.

“Is that why I can do things that other people can’t?” I asked plainly, not sure how she was expecting me to behave.

“Yes, tell me,” she paused. “What exactly is it that you have done with magic?”