Part Twent Six- Moderate Success

That night I slept soundly- and I was glad that there was no haunting memories or dreams of Lord Voldemort accompanying them. I woke to the sight of Sthyss leaning over me, his body curled around the headboard and as he viewed me and I watched him above I noticed that he’d grown again.

You know that if you grow anymore I'm not going to be able to carry you around.” I informed him, wide awake instantly, noting at how quiet it was- and the fact that the dorm was completely empty. “Everyone left.” I muttered; standing and wondering what time it was.

Yes, around about daybreak. Do you mind if I hunt?” He asked quietly and I nodded as I headed for the shower and he headed for the door- I was going to have to ask him one day how the doors magically opened for him, but for that moment I was happy knowing that he’d waited for me to wake up to go and hunt, I’d been trying to keep him close and I think he understood that while he was missing I had been unnerved.

I turned the water on and didn’t wait for it to warm up- instead I plunged myself into the freezing stream of water and let out a little squeak. “God that is cold!” I exclaimed, reverting back to Parseltongue- it was natural to me; my mouth formed the easy gliding syllables more easily than the harsh language I spoke with humans.

I sat down in the shower and waited as the water heated up, with my scales and the birthmark adorning my back I had to be very careful when showering- and getting changed- that no-one saw them and I’d done remarkably well so far, but it was a nice change to be able to not care about someone seeing me.

It’s just me.” Sthyss called as he came through the door- for a second sounding very human.

I wasn’t too worried,” I replied as he came through the shower curtain, tentatively testing the water with his tongue before he slithered closer to me and up around my forearm, comforting me even though he was a little heavy.

You ate?” I asked lazily and he nodded.

There was a small family of rats living on the second floor,” He hissed and I smirked.

Were they fat?” I asked, laughing as I ran my left hand over the lumps along his sleek body.

They were sufficient.” He added and I believed him. “So what are you going to do today?” he asked and I shrugged easily.

I might try and find Professor Lupin and ask him for more books, I'd really like to continue my study during the holidays.” I frowned. “And I’m hoping that Ron and Hermione stayed for the holidays so that I can apologise to Hermione and help Sirius.

You’re doing the right thing.” He told me and I nodded, standing up and being careful to get him off my hand before straightening.

The water feels good on my scales,” I observed lightly itching them ever so slightly, feeling something sticky cling to the underside if my nails I looked back to my hand and grimaced at the viscous gloop that had liberally come off.

I’m moulting.” I announced with disdain- I'd seen enough snakes moulting to know what shedding looked like wet.

You’re going to feel ill for the next few days,” Sthyss told me as he curled up around my waist to inspect my back closer as I washed the dead layer off my fingers.

Brilliant, just what I need before the full moon.” I said, pulling more of the glue-like skin off my back. “If I ever get pissed off with you again when you’re moulting you have permission to bite me.” It was irritating- not just a little either but was becoming seriously uncomfortable. I turned the water off with a sigh and pulled a towel from the rack, wrapping myself in it like a cocoon.