Part Twenty Two- claims of innocence

It was raining- in fact it wasn’t just raining it was hurricaining. I was the first up in the library, without Sthyss, without a friend, just on my own. I had no intention of leaving the confines of the school today, my nose was running violently and my throat and head had gotten worse.

It was still quite dark outside so there were a few lanterns lit in the less exposed corners of the Library, I was feeling the cold keenly and the growing proximity to the full moon had become apparent as the waxing moon had glowed through the window when I’d woken up at four; it was now eight- it’d been nagging me. I was positioned so that should anyone come my way I’d see them before they saw me, as long as I was paying attention which I wasn’t; well not really, I had my head buried in a volume of the school yearbooks. I had been wondering in my sleep about Sirius Black and if there was anyone who would have stood up for him before he was sent to Azkaban, I didn’t know why because I couldn’t go and talk to any of them- well I’d thought that before Id found old class lists and photos.

“You're up early.” I turned, looking up from where I sat- startled. Professor Lupin looked cold and only a little worse for wear than I’d seen him the other day as he sat down opposite me.

“I'm trying to get some learning in before the holidays.” I explained; shutting the book in what I hoped was an innocent-looking movement.

“So you're not trying to catch up on the class you walked out of?” He asked without the smallest hint of a smile.

“You didn’t hear what he said about Werewolves.” I scowled down at the book in front of me.

“I did hear about what you said to Hermione though.” He frowned and his forehead creased. I scoffed but felt immediately sorry for it.

“She didn’t deserve what I said; no-one deserves what I said. I was just so angry and she’d found out that I'm an animagus and I didn’t know what to do. It’s what I always do.” I whispered and saw him nod from the professor.

“You’re going to apologise?” He asked and I nodded gently. “Where’s Sthyss?” He continued- changing the subject and I looked back up at him, his face was concerned.

“We aren’t talking, I take a step in the same direction as one of my family members and I get ostracised.” My jaw tightened involuntarily.

“Family as in-?”

“Voldemort.” I clarified and his eyebrows shot up and then down quickly.

“Does that bother you?” He inquired, seemingly lightly but the depth in his eyes spoke otherwise.

“It would bother me more if I’d met him, but no, it doesn’t affect Me.”

“I heard that he killed your parents as well.” Lupin was unsure if what he was saying was going to provoke an emotional response.

“Yeah, he did apparently, Dumbledore reckons it’s because he’s scared.” I told him, there was something about him that made him very easy to talk with, “Scared of me.” I whispered, considering something else already.

“Professor Lupin who turned you into-” I looked around and rethought my question, there wasn’t anyone about but I had a constant feeling of being watched- Sthyss was no doubt lurking again.

“Perhaps we should talk somewhere else?” He offered and stood wearily. I nodded and followed him. Halfway up the empty staircase towards the second floor he broke the silence.

“Fenrir Greyback, I was nine.” He was looking ahead with a grim visage, he seemed to have moved away from me yet he hadn’t stepped an inch.