Part Twenty Five- The Start

“What’s your name?” He asked, his voice had a rusty quality that I knew wasn’t natural; it would be a symptom of Azkaban.

“Imogene Hydrus.” I answered truthfully, watching his eyes travel as I spoke.

You can trust him.” Sthyss assured me gently in my ear; the weight of him comforted me.

I kno-” I stopped myself from continuing realising how rude I was being. “I'm sorry, its habit,” I explained, tempted to smile but knowing that that really wouldn't be the right reaction given the circumstances; however that didn’t stop him from narrowing his eyes or his brow from creasing.

“Most people wouldn't be so forthright with a murderer.” He croaked, Sthyss whispered something else in my ear and I couldn’t help but smile.

“No I suppose most people wouldn't, me included, but you aren’t a murderer.” I was now positive, that and Sthyss had just told me.

“Really? And whatever would make you think that? Surely you read the papers?”

“I do but people make mistakes, I don't believe for a second that you killed anyone.” My faith disturbed even me so, the look on his face of utter shock was not surprising.

“He told you that?” He finally said, gesturing to Sthyss, I didn’t reply but rather waited for him to reply, but he just watched me.

“Mr Black I'm not wrong, but I'm obviously here for a reason. Why?”

“You should ask your friend.” He sounded surly, but again I noticed that his tone seemed to be dulled.

Sthyss?” I turned my head to look at him.

You need to help him Imogene.” His flat face was deathly serious, and his tone matched.

It could be dangerous and how?” I didn’t have any sort of way of helping this man; I didn’t even know what he wanted.

He’s searching for a man inside the castle, except this man isn't always a man.”

“What’s he saying?” Black asked me suddenly and my eyes darted to his, I couldn’t tell what colour they were in the dark but they had the look mine did after the full moon- dead but wary.

“He’s saying that I should help you.” I lifted an eyebrow, “though I'm not sure what I could possibly help you with.” Sthyss had obviously somehow communicated with Mr Black otherwise I wouldn't have been there, and why would I be alive if he hadn’t?

“You’re a student up at the school.” He muttered, “And there is something in the school that I'm looking for.”

“You mean someone?” I asked.

“That is not any of your business.” He said sharply

“If it isn't then why am I helping you?!” I demanded and his face went dark and a wand appeared in his hand.

“I could kill you, it really wouldn't be hard.” He breathed, his mouth barely moving, for a single masochistic moment I almost laughed- a grin twitched at the corner of my mouth.

“You won't. And if you do I can guarantee Sthyss here will kill you faster than you can raise your wand.” I was playing a dangerous game. He became completely silent and completely still- he was barely breathing, unlike me who was squirming with discomfort.

“Mr Black, thank you.” I said suddenly, his face contorted into a look of befuddlement.

“What for?” He asked, his face still not relaxing, but changing into a look of suspicion that was almost comical.