Part Four- In Sickness and in the Absence of Health

That night was awful, I felt sick and I genuinely wanted to throw up, I had a fever and my sleep was short and fitful. Sthyss, who was grouchy because I had kept him awake all night, slept on the mantel of the fireplace, and when I asked him if he wanted to join me for the day he declined in a foul temper. “Go on your own.

I wasn’t going to have his company so I lethargically stepped out the door and into the Slytherin commons. I had been moved into the house dorms by Professor McGonagall the night that I had been released from Madame Pomfrey’s care, and of course as I had now been officially sorted into my many-great grandfather’s house,  it was logical for me to stay here. I lounged in the long leather couch until eight and then finally walked slowly up from the dungeon like place into the main body of the school, climbing steadily higher through the castle until I reached the corridor adjoining Professor McGonagall’s rooms. I politely knocked on the door and the stern looking woman opened it, her lips pursed, and her hair pulled back particularly tight. “Morning Professor.” I yawned. She smiled briefly and stepped aside to let me in to have breakfast. I wasn’t particularly hungry so I just helped myself to a piece of toast and sat down. She offered me a drink but I declined, I hardly felt up to toast, the last thing I wanted right now was liquids. We ate in silence as we had done before, until she noticed that Sthyss was missing.

“Where’s your snake dear?” she asked suddenly, there was something that she found unnerving about Sthyss that I naturally I couldn’t understand, but I had a feeling that it had to do with Sthyss trying to eat her.

“He didn’t sleep too well last night, so he decided that he would stay in the dormitory; it’s warmer there anyway,” I added as an after-thought and took another bite of my toast.

“You don't look like you slept very well either.” She commented lightly, peering over her cup of tea at me, I smiled.

“No, I was feeling a bit off and didn’t sleep properly.”

“Maybe you should go and see Madame Pomfrey I'm sure she can help.” The professor suggested helpfully.

I nodded, “I’ll see how I’m feeling tomorrow. I should be alright after I get a good night’s sleep.” She raised an eyebrow and watched me for several seconds but said nothing.

“Are you ready for your Potions examination?” she took a long sip and put it down again.

“Everything’s up here and ready,” I tapped my head, “I just hope I will manage to put what I know into a cauldron.” I answered nervously. My anxiety was genuine, I had remembered all that I could and there wasn’t enough time for me to be able to practice so I was going to have to get everything right the first time. Seemed easy enough. I stood and took a deep breathe, “I suppose I should go.”

“Do you know where Professor Snape’s classroom is?” She asked as I picked up my backpack.

“Yes, thank you Professor.” I turned and left the room, shutting the door behind me and heading back down into the depths; I turned a corner and felt empty without Sthyss wrapped around some part of my anatomy.

The corridors got steadily darker as my steps took me below the water-line of the Black Lake, the light became faintly green and gloomy, I reached the cold, ajar wooden door and it creaked ominously as I pushed it further open. “I didn’t hear you knock.” A deliberate, cold voice spoke from somewhere behind the door that I had only pushed open a little way. “Sorry sir the door was open.” I called, knocking. I had to say it through gritted teeth and I knocked very slowly and sarcastically. I knew I was meant to have respect for my teachers but I was not feeling up to being orderly today. The door was pulled open and Professor Snape stood inches from me, his billowing robes creating a draft that chilled me almost as much as the furious look on his face. His hair was black and very greasy, as if it had been too long since he had washed it, his nose stuck out from the curtain-like hair that framed his face and his black eyes bore into me like thread worms. I returned the look, not out of resentment but rather out of pride, I knew that I wouldn't back down to him and I was letting him know.