Chapter 8 - Inside Out

CHAPTER 8

CAT

After getting ice cream, they all made their way to Nick's apartment, which Cat found out was a lot closer to hers than she originally assumed. It was a really nice complex with only six other units mostly being rented out by college students, as its location was walking distance from campus. Nick lived on the top floor and since there were only three it would've been easy to climb the stairs, but Adam and Luke wanted to take a ride in the elevator.

The moment they walked into Nick's apartment, the smell of something absolutely delicious caught Cat's attention and her gaze darted toward the neat kitchen.

Grace and Adam took off their boots and made a beeline for the living room, apparently quite used to their uncle's apartment, but Luke lagged behind a little, watching his mother and silently waiting for confirmation that it was fine for him to go play too.

"Come on, Luke!" Adam beckoned.

"You can go play with your friends," Cat nodded.

Luke scampered off to find Grace and Adam in the living room, while Cat shrugged out of her coat and wrapped it over her arm.

"It smells really good," she told Nick.

"Thanks, it's my mom's recipe. Italian tortellini... you just put everything in the crockpot in the morning and there you go, instant meal when you get home," he informed her as he opened the door to the closet and put his leather jacket onto one of the coat hangers. "I'll take your coat," he added to Cat, holding his arm out toward her.

"I don't own one of those but my friend Amanda says they're pretty useful," Cat said as she watched him rid Duke of his harness so that he bolted for the kids. Luke gasped when the yellow lab went straight for him, demanding hugs and kisses and pats on the back.

"Look mama, I'm playing with Nick's dog!" Luke beamed.

The noise levels seemed to rise with the added excitement that was caused by Duke, so Cat moved a little closer to Nick as they made their way into the kitchen.

"They are when you've got a full day of classes and couldn't be bothered to slave in the kitchen for hours when you get home," Nick was saying as he rounded the island counter and went to check on the pasta.

Cat noticed how easily he moved around without the use of a guide dog or his cane. She figured he must know the apartment like the back of his hand, making it a lot easier for him to go from one place to the next without any obstacles getting in his way.

It was interesting though; watching him move around now, she wouldn't have been able to tell that he can't see.

"Anything I can do to help?" she asked.

"I think we're about ready to eat," Nick said, moving to one of the cabinets on the right and taking out a handful of plates. "Are you kids hungry yet or are you still full from the ice cream?" he called out to Grace, Adam and Luke.

"I could eat," Luke said simply, causing Nick to grin.

"I'm hungry too," Adam added as he hopped onto the couch and leaned over the back to get a better look at Nick and Cat.

"Me too," Grace murmured with a little less gusto than the boys.

"Alright then, that settles it," Nick grinned.

He instructed Cat on where to find utensils and glasses, so she helped set the table for five people while he filled plates with food. Despite the ice cream they had only an hour earlier, Cat had to admit she was pretty hungry too after walking around all day.