Epilogue

EPILOGUE

CAT

It was early on a Saturday afternoon in early October and Catherine Logan was about to walk down the aisle and marry the love of her life.

She was surrounded by her bridesmaids; they all looked so beautiful in their floor-length saffron dresses, with autumn flowers in their hair. Cat was in the chair being made up now, and she couldn't stop smiling from ear to ear as everybody talked, and laughed, and drank champagne.

They might've noticed she wasn't drinking; there was a possibility they could be suspecting the reason why, but no one said anything. If anyone did ask, she'd just use the excuse that she was still under the legal drinking age for another three days.

She hadn't told anybody yet that she was pregnant, not even her groom.

The positive pregnancy test was so faint; she'd tell him in a week or two, when she was absolutely sure, but for now she felt giddy about the little secret growing inside of her.

"Are we almost ready?" asked Liv as she came into the room to check on the women.

"A few more minutes," Alicia replied with a bright smile that almost matched her daughter's.

"How's Luke doing?" Cat asked, wiggling a bit in the make-up chair so that she could see her soon-to-be mother-in-law's reflection in the tall vanity mirror.

"Oh, he's the life of the party over there," Liv laughed softly. "Just relax and enjoy this."

"I've been trying to tell her that all day!" Alicia rolled her eyes.

"I am enjoying it!" Cat giggled.

The photographer was finished taking pictures by now and headed outside to prepare for the ceremony. The seconds were ticking closer and closer to two o'clock. An hour from now, she'd be Mrs. Bradley, and her husband would've officially adopted their little boy.

Oh God, she needed to stop thinking, otherwise she might start crying and ruin her make-up.

She wasn't nervous, not really, but when it was finally time to go, Cat had to admit her heart was beating a little faster in her chest. She grinned over at Sara, Amanda and Erin. They'd be walking down the aisle first.

"Good luck, you look so beautiful," Amanda whispered.

Hannah gave her shoulder a quick squeeze.

"You do look really beautiful," Hannah, her best friend and maid of honor, agreed.

"Thank you, so do you," Cat replied and looped her arm with her father's. "Are you ready, dad?" she smiled up at him.

"I suppose so... are you?" he smiled back.

"Hell yeah," she replied.

Things with him were still a little tense, but in the last year they'd made some progress. At least he was here now at her wedding, walking her down the aisle, leading her to the rest of her life. She couldn't have asked for anything more.

She could hear the faint sound of piano music outside the French Doors, which meant things were starting. Nick was probably standing in front of the crowd with his best man, waiting for her to arrive. Her heart hammered harder still against her ribcage.

The bridesmaids and groomsmen went next, followed by the two little ring bearers. Cat wished she could see Adam and Luke walking down the aisle hand-in-hand, they were probably so freaking cute.

"OK, go, go, go," Cat instructed in a quick whisper to Grace, who was so pretty in her little white dress, carrying a bouquet of orange Asiatic Lilies. Her long, wavy hair bounced against her back as she walked out.

She actually heard the rustling sound of everybody standing up to see her. She looked at her dad again, took a deep breath, and they too exited into the courtyard.

"Dad, look at Luke! He's so cute!" she whispered.

Her four year-old looked so grown up in a gray tux that matched his daddy's. He had a little orange bowtie on, and his hair was parted on the side and held together with gel.

When her eyes fell on Nick, the smile on her face widened even more, if that was possible at this point. He was waiting for her underneath the white arch, hands folded in front of him. The happiness was visible on his whole face. Even his pale gray eyes were alight with it.

Her father kissed her forehead before letting her go, and she handed her bouquet to Hannah.

"Hi," she said to Nick when her hands slipped into his.

"Hi," he replied softly.

The justice of the peace waited for everyone to settle down in their seats again. "Welcome friends, family, we are gathered here today to celebrate the union of Nicholas Jackson Bradley and Catherine Joy Logan in matrimony..."

The ceremony went by in a haze. Cat barely even listened to any of it, too busy looking at the tall, dark-haired man in front of her. They'd been through so much in two years, but she wouldn't have it any other way because it led to them becoming a little family.

"May we have the rings?"

Luke and Adam took their jobs very seriously. Luke walked up and handed the little velvet box over, a big smile on his face.

"Nick, repeat after me," the justice of the peace continued and Cat glanced down at their hands as Nick placed the ring on her finger.

"I offer you this ring as a symbol of my love for you, and a promise that I will always be there for you," he recited.

Adam was next, with Cat's ring for Nick. She recited the same words, tears in her blue eyes. She promised herself she wouldn't be the kind of bride that cried at her own wedding, and so far she'd made good on that. Even through Nick's vows, she kept it relatively together.

She wasn't going to last much longer though, not if he kept smiling at her like that.

"By the power vested in me by the State of Illinois, I now pronounce you husband and wife! Nick, I believe you know what to do!"

Nick took her face between his hands and wasted no time to kiss his bride.