Chapter 42 - Cat Turns Twenty

CHAPTER 42

NICK

It was Cat's twentieth birthday and Nick had an entire evening planned out for her once they both got off work.

After everything they'd been through these last few months, she fucking deserved to have her whole existence be celebrated. Her two best friends were on the same page; Hannah and Amanda wanted to throw her an epic surprise party, which was completely reasonable and Nick would never dream of denying them, he just made sure they knew it couldn't be on her actual birthday.

He wanted her all to himself for that night.

"This is gonna be so nice," she said as she made her way across the bedroom to get something atop her dresser. "We missed date night this week," she pointed out, her back to him.

"We were a bit preoccupied," Nick chuckled. He was sitting at the edge of their bed, putting on his shoes and adjusting the bottom of his pants.

"And we'll have the whole apartment to ourselves after we come home from dinner," she commented with a hint of mischief in her voice. Nick finished tying his shoes and straightened up. He could practically feel Cat's excited energy as she buzzed around the room.

"Whatever shall we do," he replied playfully, not quite expecting what happened next.

Cat spun around on her heels, practically launching herself onto the freshly washed bedspread. "I have a couple ideas," she told him.

Nick couldn't do anything but fall onto his back, since she dragged him right along with her on her way down. She climbed onto him and straddled his hips, her mouth finding his before he even had a chance to argue.

Did he really want to though?

"We might be late," he pointed out.

"I don't care," Cat replied and started fumbling around with the buttons of his button-up shirt.

His resolve didn't exist, and it never had. He already had his hands under her tight dress, feeling her up like a horny eighteen year-old on prom night. What was he gonna do, when she was so eager for a pre-birthday dinner quickie?

He was only happy to oblige.

CAT

Somehow they managed to make it to the restaurant on time for their reservation. The hostess led them to their table and Cat kept looking around like a little kid visiting Chuck E. Cheeses for the first time. She was amazed by how pretty the decorations were.

"This place is so pretty," she whispered, and spent the first five minutes of their date explaining the décor to him.

There were hundreds of lights high above them that looked like stars, especially this late in the evening. There was a huge marble wall near the bar area. There was a pair of large French doors allowing access to a balcony; in the summertime, it probably looked like back-drop to an important kiss scene in a romantic movie. She even talked to him about the fancy napkins on their table, which probably wasn't the most exciting topic of conversation, was it? If he was bored, he definitely didn't let it show.

Nick ordered them some really fancy sparkling cider and told her not to worry about the price, as if he knew she was about to protest. They drank and talked, and mulled over what they wanted for their meals. Honestly, Cat was a little overwhelmed by the menu.