The Door That Remains Open

Copyright © 2016, Linda Gonzalez - All Rights Reserved

Do not distribute nor copy without author's (my) permission. Thank you for respecting this.

Excerpt from one of my unpublished books, "Forever Is a Long Time."

The Door That Remains Open

It doesn't hit you at first. You believe he'll come back, that he'll say that he's sorry. So you leave the door to your heart wide open for him to return once he's changed his mind. You wait a couple of days, which stretches out to months and soon it's been years. Yet you still have hope, and you leave the door open for him.

Then, everything comes crashing down. He doesn't change his mind, nor does he return to you. He does say sorry but not in the way you want. You want him, but he wants to stay friends. How can you forget all these bitter-sweet memories flashing before your eyes and the strong emotions you still feel for him. Your heart aches for him and he's the only one you want and need. You miss his lovely brown eyes that used to show you all the love in the world, you miss his comforting scent, you miss his lingering touch and you miss his lips above all. His lips made everything seem like everything would be fine.

Obviously everything had come crashing down, except you leave the door open and you never have plans to close it. You'll leave it open until he realizes he made the biggest mistake in his life.