His Hold On My Heart

Copyright © 2016, Linda Gonzalez - All Rights Reserved

Do not distribute nor copy without author's (my) permission. Thank you for respecting this.

His Hold On My Heart

"I love you..." He takes a deep breath, avoiding my gaze, "But this is for the best."

Then all at once, my world comes crashing down. My heart drops to my stomach. He combs his hand hesitantly through his soft-looking brown hair before letting it rest on his neck. He doesn't dare look me in the eyes as he lets the silence stretch out and ever so often does he open his mouth as if he'll say something before he closes it again. I gawk at him, my brain unable to process what was happening. Memories and emotions flash before my eyes as I try to comprehend why he was doing this.

Was I not good enough?

The only person I could count on, the only person who I thought actually cared is dropping me as if I am gum on the bottom of his shoe. I take a step back, crashing into the wall behind me while burying my face into my hands. I can't let him see me weak. I burst into the tears where your whole body shakes and you choke on your breath and snot. I take a peek from behind my index and notice he's crying too. His eyes are red and doesn't even bother wiping his tears away. I run my sleeve against my nose while inhaling deeply.

Stay strong.

I close my eyes. If this is for the best why does it hurt so damn much? More tears fall on his cheeks and I can't take it anymore, I dive my face into the crook of his shoulder and grip the back of his neck. I pull him towards me and I feel his hands on my waist. We cry together as one.