Why Am I Still Here

Alpha Michael's pov

Everyone's getting worried. We've searched everywhere for Jonathan, but we can't find him anywhere. I don't understand, he's never left the pack house before and the one day he decides to go for a run, he suddenly disappears? And the worst part is seeing with my own eyes how little my son cares about his disappearance. I feel a headache coming on as I walk into the living room after another sleepless night to find him watching TV like nothing happened.

"Nicolo, why are you sitting there, we have to find Jonathan."

"It's been a week dad, Johnny-boy's probably already dead."

Before I knew what I was doing, I was slapping my son across the face.

"He's a part of this pack and the son of my closest friends, you will help us find him."

"He's nothing to me. Just because you promised some strangers I've never met that you'd take care of their pathetic little Omega mutt, you act like I'm supposed to consider him a friend or something. You never even asked me how I felt about him being here and now you want me to get all choked up because he's gone missing?"

I let out a sigh, knowing why my son was acting this way.

"I'm sorry for what your mother did son, but that's no excuse to shut everyone out. When your mate comes____."

"When my mate comes, I'll reject them. I'll make sure that they never get the chance to hurt me even if I have to be alone for the rest of my life."

'Son, you can't mean that. "

"Why? Because a mate is your other half? You've told me that story so many times dad . . . and I believed it, when I was younger. Now, I know mates are just tools to bring you down."

I didn't know what to say, Nicolo wouldn't believe anything I told him, even if the evidence was right in front of his eyes because of that woman. Shaking my head, I looked away from him and made my way over to the door.

"Please just let me know if he comes back here. Can you do that, son?"

"Sure, whatever."

I swallow down my anger, the way my son is . . . I'm partly to blame for it too. If I'd been paying more attention to what was going on around me instead of giving in to my depression, I could have nipped all of those rumors in the bud before the caused irreparable damage.

A soft sigh comes from behind me, but I don't turn around, knowing my son will speak when he's ready.

"It's not your fault, dad. She fooled all of us and she nearly killed you. I . . . I just can't take the risk of being betrayed like that."

"I know son . . . I know."

Another silence grew between us. I knew he wanted to tell me something, but when he refused to say anything, I left closing the door behind me. I lifted my shirt, gently rubbing my fingertips across the permanent scar that ran from my right shoulder to my left hip as my mind drifted back to the woman who had brought me to my knees and nearly destroyed the pack.