Facing His Actions Pt. 2

"Come up here, Nicolo."

Hearing the cold, emotionless tone of the man I used to call my sire, I swallowed nervously, making my way through the crowd to the stage where I would take my place as Alpha. Everyone watched me in silence, their expressions unreadable and dread built up in the pit of my stomach.

'They know. Somehow they found out what I did.'

I tried to turn around, but the Alpha's voice was too strong and my body wouldn't listen to me. I kept moving forward as he stared at me coldly and the silence surrounding me grew even heavier.

"You all know, Nicolo is the child I raised alone after his mother abandoned this pack. I trained him personally to take my position as Alpha when I stepped down . . . but instead he betrayed me, betrayed all of us."

As I was forced to climb the stage, I could hear whispers coming from the crowd surrounding me, but I ignored them. I didn't do anything wrong, everyone would understand that I did what I had to do to protect myself.

"What's going on, Alpha?"

I flinched at the question and some small part of me became nervous as everyone's eyes fell on me suspiciously. Turning his attention away from me for the first time, he faced the crowd with pain filled eyes.

"Everyone already knows that Jonathan has gone missing. While searching one of the trackers informed me that they found traces of his blood but we lost his scent near the river. Several of your fellow pack mates are still out searching for him_____________."

He paused and his eyes became glazed and we realized he was communicating through the pack link.

"I have just called off the search."

A murmur went through the crowd and several members started to object when he held up his hand and everyone stayed silent as wolves slowly started to return.

"I called off the search because Jonathan has already been found . . . it is with a heavy heart that I must inform you that Jonathan is no longer in this world. A healer discovered him and did everything he could for him, but sadly it was too late.

"W-Was it rogues, Alpha?"

"I wish it was, but no . . . there was the scent of another wolf's seed mixed in with Jonathan's blood when it was discovered and the healer found that he was carrying pups at the time of his passing. . . it is with a heavy heart that I must tell you . . . the one who killed that poor child and raped him before hand was the boy's own mate and . . . and the only person who refused to help in the search."

"No!"

I searched for the person who cried out, knowing they had realized what was happening, but there were too many faces in the crowd staring at me, each wearing expressions of confusion, which quickly changed to dawning understanding, horror and then anger.

A few of them growled at me and I opened my mouth to growl back, but my sire's cold gaze stopped me.

"Alpha, I ask permission to leave this pack after you step down. I refuse to serve a monster that rapes and takes the life of their own mate. "

I thought my sire would defend me, if only to keep the pack together, but he nodded in understanding before addressing the entire pack.

"Very well. Is there anyone else that seeks my permission to leave?"

To my horror everyone's hand slowly went up and I realized that no matter what I said, no matter what explanation I gave, no one would understand the reasons for what I had done. I heard someone approaching and my head snapped around to see Thomas Richlan, the pack's Beta stepping forward with his family, his head lowered in remorse.