Mute

(Orlando Bloom as Alexi)

(Author's disclaimer: I don't own any of the pictures or songs used in this story and if they cause conflict I will be more than happy to take them down.)

Jonathan's pov

My eyes shot open and I parted  my lips to scream, but nothing came out. There was pain, so much pain and I had no way to escape . . . I couldn't move, couldn't breathe . . . what's wrong with me?!

"Jonathan, you're finally awake. My name is Alexi . . . I'm the one that found you and the pack's healer."

I opened and closed my mouth in desperation and the strange man standing over me shook his head.

"You won't be able to use your voice for a while. Your throat was severely injured in the attack."

'Please, what happened to me? Where am I?'

The man shook his head again.

"I'm sorry, but I can't read your thoughts . . . my link to the pack was broken long ago."

I closed my eyes and  tears slid down my cheeks. I had no way to communicate . . . I was even more helpless than I was before and couldn't help feeling frustrated. The man, mistaking the tears that slid down my cheeks as ones of fear, put a comforting hand on my shoulder and I had to fight the instinct to flinch at his touch.

"Don't cry Jonathan, you're not going back there . . . the Alpha has already agreed that you will stay here with me."

He must have seen the confusion in my eyes because he sat down beside me and quickly started to explain what was going on.

"You have every right to know this . . . Alpha Michael had a mate . . . no one speaks her name and most of the pack believes she's dead. That demon in wolf's clothing drugged and nearly killed the man she claimed to love, leaving behind a very distinctive scar. A scar going from his right shoulder to his left hipbone."

My eyes widened at his words and he nodded his head.

"Yes, Jonathan it was the same as yours even down to the silver he poured into it. And before you ask, the Alpha had nothing to do with what happened to you, although he would beg to differ. After all, he believes that if he hadn't told Nic . . . his son about his mother, he never would have hurt you the way he did."

I shook my head, my eyes filling with even more tears at the thought of my kind, loving Alpha blaming himself for what happened to me.

"He's going to bring Nicolo here, Jonathan."

I jerked up in the bed, my mouth open in a silent cry of pain and fear as I tried to drag my battered body off the mattress so I could escape. Everything was coming back to me and I wanted to run.

"He can't hurt you, Jonathan."

I ignored the man continuing to struggle. Didn't he understand that I couldn't be near Nic . . . him!

"He's not going to hurt you ever  again, Jonathan. The Alpha told him that you're dead."

An unexpected wave of relief filled me at his words and my lips stretched into a small smile as I collapse onto the mattress.

"He was punished for what he did to you, by the way. I don't know what was done to him, but I do know he'll have scars that match your own."

I nodded absentmindedly at his words, my mind already drifting to my pups. Do I really want them? I mean of course I would never take their lives, after all they're completely innocent and I would never make them pay for the actions of that monster . .   that's right, he's a monster! I don't care what his reasons are, he could have rejected me or even convinced the Alpha to banish me from the pack lands. Why did he . . .?

"You're thinking too hard, Jonathan."

I wanted to scream, he doesn't understand! Noone understands! I feel so worthless, so pathetic that I wish I didn't feel anything at all!

"I do understand, Jonathan. You blame yourself even though you know it's not your fault. You feel disgusting because he stole from you the thing you were saving and protecting at all costs and you want him to pay for it . . . you want him to suffer, but a part of you hates yourself for feeling that way."

I stared up at him wide eyed and he smiled sadly.

"I don't want to talk about it, but it will get easier with time, one day when you open your eyes you won't feel anything."

Hearing the pain in his tone, I reached out and placed a shaking hand on top of his, ignoring the pain that simple action caused.

"Before he comes here, I'm going to move you somewhere else. You don't have to be afraid."

I wanted to believe him, but I knew that even if I never saw him again, I would never be able to let anyone touch me that way again. He must have sensed my doubt because he sighed and sat down in the chair by my bedside.

"The man that attacked me didn't get as far as Nic . . . he got with you. I was a naive young wolf that believed everyone in the pack looked out for each other, so when he asked to walk me home, I wasn't nervous at all. We got to my front porch and I turned around to thank him, when his fist slammed into my face. I had no idea what was going on, one minute we were laughing and talking and the next he was ripping my clothes off and trying to force himself inside of me while I was begging him to stop. I have never been as terrified and in as much pain as I was that night. But the worst part was what came next. I reported him that very night, but instead of anyone supporting me, noone did, including my own family . . . the whole pack   turned on me and made my life a living nightmare."

I tightened my hold on his hand and he smirked at me.

"I know what you're thinking,  I said almost, right? Well the man that left you in my care and punished the one that hurt you was the one that saved me that night. If he hadn't found us that night and pulled him off of me, I wouldn't have gotten away with a few cuts and bruises. I thank the Moon Goddess every day that I have that man for a friend."

A soft smile crossed my lip and I sent up a silent thank you of my own to the Moon Goddess that Alpha Michael in his kindness and wisdom had brought me to the one person who I knew without a doubt could teach me how to bear my scars and heal enough to pick up the shattered remains of my heart just enough that I could go on living without being afraid of my own shadow.  Maybe one day things will actually be okay for me.

Alexi's pov

I watched Jonathan relax onto the mattress, a strange mixture of relief and resignation forming a hard lump in my chest. Relief because Jonathan hadn't asked me why I broke the pack bond and chose to live alone in the woods and resignation because I knew he would eventually want answers that I wasn't ready to give anyone. If he knew how long and hard the journey to recover even the delicate peace of mind I had today, he would never take the chance to start living again. The truth is, it's still hard to even let Michael near me sometimes. I still have nightmares and there have been times when I just wanted to end it all. It was only thanks to Michael's constant interference that I'm still here . . . is that why he brought this kid here? So I would help him the same way I was helped? Doesn't Michael understand, I'm the last person this kid's sanity should be trusted with and yet . . . how many times had Michael said the same thing to me? How many times did he tell me he doubted his own strength whenever I failed to respond to him? He stayed with me in spite of his doubts and obligations and if he sees even a little of me in himself, maybe I should believe in what he sees in me. I let a small smile cross my lips. Jonathan was going to recover everything Nic . . . he tried to take from him and I for one won't rest until he able to  stand in front of him with the courage and confidence to face the monster that hurt him . . . he's going to regret making Jonathan his victim.