Sailing to the Edge

As the two brothers watched, time ticked away in the room. At first your body continued on its rampage around the game board, slicing down any obstacle or trap, while a wide smile painted your face. Your green poison eyes seeking nothing but the desire to kill. This seemed to last forever until at last the brothers witnessed your form suddenly collapse on the stairs to the throne room. Your head hung lifelessly over your knees, as the spade dagger tumbled down the steps, its sound being the only noise on the game board.

Both brothers peered closer, trying to notice anymore changes in your behavior. They could see that one of your eyes remained the strange green color while the other returned to its original hue. However, at that moment your body could easily be mistaken for a doll or mannequin, as you showed no signs of life. The brothers had no idea of the fight that was currently occurring in your mind and so they continued to wait.

One minute passed, then two, then five when at last something happened. Once the fifth minute concluded, you threw your head back, as a earsplitting scream left your lips. Poisonous liquid left through your eyes, making it seem as though you shed green tears. The same green substance trickled down the sides of your mouth, dripping onto the stone steps below. Concerned flickered in the brothers' eyes, but they dared not summon you out of the game board yet.

When your scream finally vanished and the green liquid disappeared as well, the brothers found it time to release you from the game board. However, before they could snap their fingers the sound of an explosion resonated throughout the room. The board shattered into a thousand pieces, as the pieces themselves turned to colorful dust. Due to the strength of the explosion, both brothers were thrown out of their chairs, each hitting the wall behind them.

Upon impact, the once beautiful perfect card house tumbled down to a heap of cards while the teacups rattled on their shelves. On the other wall the flasks with colorful sodas shook, as some collided with the floor below, sending glass shards and droplets of soda flying.

Heart rubbed his already injured head, looking through his uncovered eye at the damage. Diamond pulled shards of glass from skin while soda stains became apparent on his coat. Only a few seconds passed before each brother stared at the ruined table and nonexistent game board, hoping that you weren't dead. When they didn't see you at first, panick consumed both of them. However, after a quick examination of the room, they found you unconsious on the floor only a few feet away from them.

To their surprise you showed no evidence of the explosion's blast. In fact your hair and clothes were in perfect condition and your skin bore no more injuries. Only your previous injuries were evident due to the bandages that were still wrapped around you. Your appearance looked equal to that of a doll, who had just been put on display in a shop window.

Moving over to you, Heart picked you up in his arms, his eyes displaying no more concern, but only a longing. Diamond walked over to his brother, examining your form, his orangish-red eyes gleaming at seeing you still alive.

"Well Diamond what should we do?".

"I do not know, Heart".

"In that case I say we restrain her to one of the chairs in our room. The poison appeared to have vanished, but still ...".

"Yes, I quite agree. When she awakes, we shall hear the whole account of what exactly happened in the game board".

Thus Diamond opened the silver door, allowing Heart to take you into the room. The left side of the room was painted blue while the right red. Two beds lay beside a window that looked out to the sea, each bed following the color pattern of the walls. Across from the two beds was a round glass table with two matching chairs surrounding it.

As Heart tied you to one of the chairs , Diamond went into the bathroom, so that he could tend to the small cuts that were now all over his arms. When Heart finished with his task, he sat down in the other chair, observing your sleeping form.

As Diamond emerged out of the bathroom, he had bandages wrapped around both of his arms. He had no coat on due to it being covered in soda stains. Thus he only had his grey and white striped v-neck on. Summoning another chair into the chair, Diamond sat down as well. Right as he arranged himself comfortably in the chair, you started to stir before opening your eyes slowly.

Blinking a couple of times, you took in your surroundings and let out a sigh of relief noticing that you were no longer in the poison's hold. You had your body back. However, your momentary relief soon vanished, as you realized that you were strapped to a chair once again. Seeing the brothers staring at you, you instantly noticed the bandages that were on them.

"What happened to you two?" you couldn't help but ask.

Diamond's face remained expressionless while Heart broke out into a bitter laugh.

"My dear lady, it was you who injured us. However, we know that you were under the influence of the poison".

"I see. Well why am I strapped to a chair then if you know that I didn't intentionally injure you?".

"Safety precaution; we didn't know if there was still some of the poison left in you".

"Thus Miss ____, would you care to tell us what happened in the maze. Once we hear the full account we'll determine if we should release you".

You couldn't believe it! You just escaped the poison, yet you wake up restrained! Sure you may have caused the brothers' injuries, but they constantly threw you into dangerous situations. Clinching your fists, you calmed yourself down, knowing that arguing with them would only worsen your condition. Thus you narrated everything that happened to you after the poison entered your body.

As you recounted the events that occurred in your mind, you saw various expressions cross the brothers' faces. Diamond remained generally expressionless, listening to every detail, but at times shock, even admiration highlighted his facial features. Heart listened as well, but he continually wore a smirk across his face that you couldn't decipher.

When you finished your account, you waited for the brothers' reactions. Diamond tapped his long nails on the table surface, as if in deep thought, while Heart broke out into laughter. His one eye gleaming with a mixture of emotions.

"My dear lady I'm impressed. Who knew that you could handle a sword so well. Maybe we should increase the restraints on you".

"He is only joking Miss ____. However, I'm quite honored that you wanted to come back to us so badly. Giving up an eternity of peace in order to come back to us; how charming".

"You're wrong. I didn't come back for either of you. I came back for my body".

The two brothers seemed to ignore your statement; their eyes shining with delight. Heart got out of his chair and walked to the back of your chair, grabbing hold of it. Still gripping the chair, he headed back to the silver door, dragging you along with him. Diamond followed the two of you out of the room, as he gave you comforting smile. Seeing the smile, you glared back before turning away from his gaze.

You didn't know where the two were taking you, but at the moment you found yourself not caring. You just battled the poison and had exhausted yourself. At the moment you were just glad that you didn't have to walk. However, stealing a quick glance at Diamond, you thought it strange. Before now you had never seen the brothers without their elaborate coats. It was weird seeing them with just simple shirts on, you had admit that it didn't fit them, especially since they still had their hats on. The hats made an awkward contrast with their shirts. Though, you didn't voice this out loud. The last thing you needed was the brothers thinking that you had taken an interest in their clothing attire. You could just imagine the smirk on Heart's face, or the settle smile on Diamond's.

Just as you were about to ask where you were going, Heart stopped dragging you. Focusing on your surroundings, you realized that you were on the deck of the ship again. However, you were on a platform that had gold railings surrounding it. A blue carpet with red diamonds embroidered on it lay at your feet. To your amazement the ship was moving sideways, allowing you a clear view of an upcoming waterfall that seemed to stretch endlessly. Furthermore, you saw that the ship was still transparent, yet you were not falling through it. The sky looked otherworldly with its hues of orange, yellow, blue, purple and pink and its clouds sweeping by overhead.

"I thought you said that I would fall through the ship if I wasn't holding onto one of you. Moreover, why is the ship moving sideways and why are we nearing a waterfall?".

"Miss _____ you are not falling through the ship because you're on a platform from one of the lower decks".

"However, if you would like to hold onto one of us, we would be happy to oblige you".

"What ... why ... I didn't mean it like that you jerk. Just answer my other questions" you said noticing that your cheeks had grown a little warmer.

Heart laughed at your embarrassment while snapping his fingers in the process. The restraints on you vanished, as did the chair, sending you to the floor of the platform. Sending a glare up at Heart, you stood up, rubbing your wrists.

"Anyway Miss ____, it does not matter that the ship is moving sideways. As for your other question, well we are going over the waterfall. Beyond awaits our next playground".

"What, I just went through one of your games!" you exclaimed.

"Indeed, but my dear lady, we still have a good part of the day left. Surely we shouldn't waste it. Besides even though you didn't know you were injuring us, I still find that you should receive a punishment".

Fury arose within you and before you knew what you were doing you charged at Heart. Forming your fist into a ball, you raised it above your head before bringing it down on Heart. With no effort, Heart grabbed your fist in his hand, holding you in place. Bringing his face closer to yours, his grin widened.

"It would seem that you do indeed need some punishment, my dear lady. Trying to hit me even though I'm injured, how rude".

"It would seem that we will be at the waterfall in a few minutes brother".

"Good, I can't wait to have some more entertainment" Heart stated, now bringing his face away from yours.

Gazing at the approaching falls, you found your anger fading, as it was replaced by a shred of worry. You could feel your heartbeat increasing. Suddenly you felt two arms wrap around you, the right arm of Heart and the left arm of Diamond. Both brothers stood at your side, holding you between them.

"Miss ____ there is nothing to fear. We'll make sure that you do not fall off the ship".

"Like I would be worried" you muttered.

"Then why has your heartbeat quickened, my dear lady?".

Words wouldn't leave your mouth, as you stuttered to find an answer. Heart smirked in reply before returning his attention to what was in front of him. You watched the waterfall approach and before you could brace yourself, the ship and the three of you were falling over the edge of the water.