Prologue ϟ

Prologue ϟ

"Laurel c'mon. We have to get out of here." The young brunette urged, her brown eyes continuously scanning the people in the room watching as they rushed to gather all the files they could.

"I'm coming Bren, just a few more files. Here, hold these." Laurel Lance thrusted a stack of files into her friend's hands before grabbing more from the metal cabinet.

Brennan Merlyn bounced nervously on her feet, watching the lightening scatter across the skies outside, the few people left inside the building hurrying to get out, the mass number of people running through the streets. So many emotions were turning inside the young girls mind.

How could her father do this? This wasn't honoring her mother at all. How could he think that? Leveling the Glades wasn't what Starling City needed.

Just as she finished her thought the room began to shake. "Laurel!" She screamed dropping all the files in her hand, searching for her friend in the dark as the lights vanished.

"Brennan!" The two brunette's grabbed each other as the bookshelves began to fall, the lights cascading from the ceiling, the glass from the window shattering.

"We have to get out of here." Laurel yelled to the other girl, holding the trembling figure against her own.

"C'mon." Brennan grabbed Laurel's hand tugging her in the direction of the door.

"Wait." Laurel tugged back. The younger of the two brunette's whipped her head around to see Laurel snatching a stack of files off the desk.

"Laurel! We don't have time for th--" She didn't get to finish her sentence as the roof above them began to collapse.

"Brennan!" Laurel yelled reaching out for her best friend, a girl that was a sister to her. The older girl didn't make it as a beam fell knocking her into a bookcase and onto the floor where giant chunks of the ceiling tumbled on top of her.

Sat not even a few feet from Lance, Brennan laid unconscious, blood pouring from the gash on her head. A chunk of the ceiling trapped the young girl to the ground along with a beam that had fallen.

Laurel felt the pressure of the boulder on top of her, increasing her fear as she couldn't lift it. Her eyes frantically scanned the room, searching for the brunette locks that belonged to her friend. Just as she was about to give up, she spotted her trapped underneath her own mass of rubble.

"BRENNAN!" She screamed trying to get the girls attention but it was to no avail. Laurel's heart crumble at the thought that she was dead. "No, Bren."

Her sobs increased, tears racing as she tried to push the piece of ceiling off of her. "HELP!" She cried out. "PLEASE! HELP ME!"

A figure ran through the rubble in front of her line of vision. "Tommy!" She cried in relief but also in grief for his sister lied next to them dead.

Tommy Merlyn immediately set to work at lifting the piece of rubble off the love of his life.

"Tommy, what are you doing here?" Laurel questioned as he failed to lift the chunk off of her.

He stopped slightly in his lifting to answer her. "Brennan left me a voicemail, told me the two of you were here. I came as soon as I heard."

The man let out a loud grunt as he again tried to raise the rubble. "You came here for me?"

"I love you." He let out finally gaining success at lifting the chunk off of Laurel. The girl crawled out from underneath it. "Go Laurel, get out!"