Chapter Three ϟ Maybe Someday

The next week went by in a flash. Brennan and Barry had a sort of routine down. Bren would come in before him. She'd sit down at her desk and pull out her laptop, checking her all her emails. Then, she'd leave the office, grab two cups of coffee, and head over to Joe's cubical checking in on him while delivering the coffee. After they had a short conversation Brennan would go back upstairs still seeing no sign of Barry Allen in the office. 

By this time the captain would have a case and Brennan would either be called down to sketch or an email would be sent to her with a description that she would have to draw from. She preferred to be with the witness in person but as she knew, you don't always get the things you want in life.

Brennan would then begin her work and that is when Mr. Allen would decide to stroll into the office. He always gave her that adorable smile and a hello walking in to which she returned a hello and a tight-lipped smile. They would both work in a comfortable silence until Iris comes in and takes Barry away for some reason, always asking if Brennan would like to join them to which she politely declines. They would leave and Bren would continue to work until she was done for the day. She would gather her things and return to her apartment doing everything her night routine consists of. Then, she'd wake up the next day and repeat the same process.

Today, however, was different. As Brennan walked into the shared office and spotted the brown haired forensic scientist sitting at his computer typing away. For a second, she stared at him in surprise. It must have been a second too long because Barry's typing stopped and his head turned to glance at her. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What?"

"You're here. On time." She stated coming out of her stupor. Heading towards her own desk she slid off her bag and placed it to the floor continuing to gaze at him.

Barry gave her a distracted smile returning to his computer. "Well, this is my job."

Bren suppressed the urge to roll her eyes at his sarcasm. "Yeah, a job that you are always late to." She calmly replied crossing her right leg over her left and leaning back in the chair.

"I'm trying something new." He shrugged, his eyes glued to his computer screen. Bren glanced at what he was searching. It seemed to be some breaking news article about something happening in Starling. She didn't know what Barry's interest in it was, but she made sure not to ask taking her eyes off the screen and getting to work herself.

The two were silent once again for maybe an hour until Barry typed one more thing on his computer before shutting it off and gathering his stuff.

"Where are you going?" Bren questioned placing her sketchbook on her desk.

Barry's eyes widened as if he had forgotten that she was there. "Uh," Brennan could see the gears turning in his head as he tried to formulate a lie.

"I uh, Joe called from downstairs so I, uh, I have to go, there, downstairs." He stuttered out edging his way to the exit.

Brennan's expression changed to one of confusion. She had run into Joe before coming up here and he was out on a case. He said he wouldn't be back until the afternoon. "Oh, really?"

Barry nodded, a little too fast. Brennan didn't need her extra skills of being able to tell when someone was being false to know that Barry was lying. Standing from her chair, she crossed her arms moving to be in front of him.

"Where are you really going Allen?"

To this Barry's shoulders slumped and a sigh left his lips. "You wouldn't understand if I told you."