Chapter One ϟ Fresh Start

"So, is this the last box?" Brennan asked as the blonde man in the blue movers van unloaded the last brown box out of the truck.

The man nodded before giving Brennan a smile. "You have a nice day ma'am."

Brennan smiled back. "You too."

She watched as the red moving truck pulled away from the apartment complex and turned the corner of the street out of sight. Circling around to stare at the building Brennan sighed. 

This is what you wanted, a fresh start, her brain chanted at her. The slate gray building wasn't anything too special. It wasn't the most luxurious apartment complexes that Brennan could have chosen with all of her money but when she walked into the apartment they were showing Brennan just felt as if this was home.

She needed that. She needed the homey feeling. 

Memories of the last month flew around in her head causing a dull ache to pulse at the front of her brain. 

Deep breaths Bren, deep breaths. She commanded to herself shaking off the bad thoughts and making her way up the stairs to her new two bedroom apartment.

After she had unpacked a few things, Brennan decided it would be a good idea to not mope around the apartment and to go check on her newest job at the CCPD. First, she took a shower not wanting to go down there all sweaty and smelling like cardboard boxes.

Once she was out of the shower she changed into light wash jean capris that were rolled at her ankle with small rips on the thighs, a white v-neck, a black blazer jacket, and a pair of  black vans to complete it. She tied her wet hair into a messy bun on top of her head letting a few of the already dried baby hairs fly out on the sides. Grabbing her purse off the counter and making sure her keys and phone were inside she walked out the door, remembering to lock it.

As she was approaching the elevator a body collided with hers and they both went sailing to the ground. She landed on the bottom with a thump and immediately groaned at the weight on her body.

"Oh my, I am so sorry." A panicked male voice said.

Brennan cracked her eyes open as the weight on her body lifted. She sat up with a grimace. "It's fine. I wasn't watching were I was going either." She stated looking up.

Slowly, her eyes drifted from the floor to see a pair of black converse that lead to dark skinny jeans, a white t-shirt, and a brown blazer. Glancing up from the outfit she saw one of the cutest shy smiles she'd ever thought she'd seen. The boy's face was tinted pink but it made him even more adorable. He had brown hair with bright green eyes that seemed to light up in the dim hallway.

He scratched the back of his neck at the awkward situation before reaching out his hand. Brennan took it, standing up, while relishing in the fact that his hands were so soft.

"So, are you in a hurry or something?" 

That seemed to break the awkward tension in the hallway. The boy's eyes widened as he checked his watch on his wrist before tossing his head back with a groan.