Chapter Six ϟ Like Father, Like Daughter

She stared up at the dark brown wood door. Her entire body was willing her to get back into the car and drive away. She didn't have to do this right now. She knew that she needed to, however. 

Her shaky hands raised up and knocked against the wood. It was only a few seconds before the door groaned as it was being opened. The older woman was in shock as she pushed the door open wider. 

"Brennan. How wonderful it is to see you." Miora stated with a smile as she took in the girl's appearance. 

"May I come in?" The question was sprung between a tight smile with little to no comfort. 

Miora's smile dropped to a frown, but she nodded letting the young girl pass by her and walk inside the house. As she passed, Miora almost physically shivered. It was as if the girl had no emotions. Like a cold wind on a winter day was walking through her foyer.

She led Brennan into the sitting room. "Would you like something to drink? We have Auntie Ann's sweet tea."

Brennan wanted to smile that Miora remembered her favorite drink, but then she remembered what she was doing there and that she was freezing out everyone. She couldn't start rebuilding ties now.

"No, thank you Mrs. Queen."

Miora frowned. She hadn't been called Mrs. Queen by Brennan in a very long time, since she was about five or six.

Miora took her seat across from Brennan folding her hands over her legs. "So, what is it that brings you here today?"

Brennan sat the papers down on the coffee table as the older woman looked at them. "What is this?"

"This is your contribution to the Protectors of Youth Foundation. I need you to sign out of the contract." Brennan said with a bitter taste in her mouth. She didn't want to do this, she didn't, but it had to be done. She swore to protect those kids and this is one way she has to do it.

Moira looked up at her shocked. "You're signing me out of my own charity? Why?"

Brennan shook her head. "Technically, it was and still is my charity, you are just a shareholder."

Moira turned her lips down ruefully. "So, you're cutting me out of the charity? What about the children? They need my donation to the fund."

Brennan clasped her hands together in front of her body after laying a pen down on the new contract. "Actually, your name being anywhere near this foundation has made it lose money."

Pulling out a bank statement for the charity, Brennan handed it over to her. "At the benefit last month, we only received a third of the profits that we did the previous year."

Moira scanned the sheet with guilt sifting through her bones. She was the reason that those kids weren't going to get what they needed.

"I am truly sorry to do this Moira. We grew this company together and I know that, at sixteen, I wouldn't have been able to start this by myself and I thank you for it but now, in the best interest of those children, I hope that you will sign this." Brennan stated. She truly was sorry. This charity, like many others, were her babies though and she wasn't going to let it sink with all of Malcolm's evil work.

Brennan knew just how evil Malcolm was and he probably did use it against Moira. Brennan knew that if she were in Moira's position, she would have done everything possible to save her children, even if that meant they would cut them out of her life. Malcolm was relentless and he would stop at nothing to get what he wanted. That was always his nature.