Prologue: Unbreakable

"Piper," he said softly, gently tracing a finger over the fresh bruise on my cheek. I knew exactly what he was going to say.

"No, Justin," I cut him off before he could get the rest of the words out, "I can't just let you in. My shitty life is my problem, not yours." I brushed his hand off and stared down at my trembling hands.

"Piper, I want it to be my problem," he protested, I looked up into his earnest face, but instead of softening the way any normal person would, I got pissed off.

"Get it through your thick skull!" I shouted, getting to my feet, "I don't want you interfering with my life. I don't even want you to be a PART of my life!"

Then he did something I never would've expected. Justin took my face in his hands and kissed me. For what seemed like an eternity, I froze with my eyes opened wide in shock. But slowly, my surprise and anger melted away and I kissed him back. I wove my fingers through his messy, brown hair and let my eyes fall closed.

Reality set in when I heard the front door slam. I jumped back and shoved him towards the window. Well, I tried to shove him towards the window. The problem is, Justin is freaking huge.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"You can't be here," I  whisper-yelled.

"Piper, seriously, what the hell's going on?"

"He can't see you," I insisted frantically.

"Oh," he said, his face grew cold and distant, "I see." He strode over to the window and pushed it open before I could say another word.

"What's your problem?" I asked.

"Nothing," he replied icily, "I'll just get out of here before your boyfriend spots me."

"He's not..." I started to correct him, but then I thought better of it and snapped my mouth shut. Why not let him think I had a boyfriend? It would put another barrier between him and me and that was what I wanted, right?

"That's what I thought." Justin stepped through the open window and sprinted off into the darkness. I watched him sadly as he went, reminding myself that this was for the best. I couldn't let anyone get close enough to hurt me ever again. I would be unbreakable.