Bruises and Kisses

Chapter 15: Piper

Why was it so hard to ignore him? It was never hard for me to ignore people - I'd spent ten years of my life doing it - but somehow that stupid kicked-puppy look was getting to me. But I did keep myself from talking to him. At least you can manage that, I thought sarcastically. I kept my focus locked on the front of the room, even though I was so aware of Justin it made it impossible to read the words. Honestly it might as well be alphabet soup or, hell, Chinese, for as much sense as it made to me.

I was ten seconds away from faking illness just to get out of there when Liv and Steven walked up to the desk. He smiled faintly at me - just the barest lift of the corners of his mouth - but I wasn't offended by his lack of greeting. Steven was just kind of a reserved guy, so he didn't talk much... except maybe to his close friends, but then again, I wouldn't know. Liv grinned widely and nudged Steven in his ribs, saying, "Aw, look at the lovebirds!"

I really wished she hadn't said that. The moment the words left her mouth, Justin tensed up and twisted around in his chair, making me flinch back in response. Not that he scared me, it was just my natural reaction to avoid confrontation with pissed off guys. For obvious reasons...

"You know what?" he snapped, wearing a scowl that twisted his normally happy face into something almost unrecognizable, "It's not fine, Piper." This version of Justin actually did scare me.

I quickly covered up my fear with chilling anger. "What the hell are you talking about, Justin?"

"I'm talking about your hot and cold attitude," he responded furiously, unconciously getting up in my face as he did so, "We were fine when you were at my house on Friday and you didn't seem pissed off when you left Saturday morning. So, tell me, Piper, what changed?"

Did he just...? My mouth dropped open in shock and I could feel my face burning with embarassment. I couldn't believe that Justin would...

"Piper?" he said uncertainly, the anger melting away from his features.

I felt tears welling in the corners of my eyes as I scanned my classmates faces. I could see the satisfaction and... worse in Paul's eyes as he leered back at me. The other guys had similar looks on their faces and the girls were simply disgusted. I wished the floor would swallow me up. But since that didn't seem likely, I did the next best thing. I ran like hell, hiding the tears that had started to spill down my cheeks behind my hands.

I didn't stop running, even when I heard footsteps clacking down the hall after me.I got to the end of the hall and pushed at the door, but the bar wouldn't budge. "Damn it!" I cursed. Of all the days for the stupid latch to get caught...

"Piper, talk to me, chica," Liv said, the click of her heels on the linoleum slowing. I ignored her and kept shoving at the door.

"Piper, please, tell me what happened," Liv pleaded. I hadn't known Liv long, but I already knew she wasn't one to beg. Despite that, I refused to answer her. I knew I was being petty, but she was Justin's friend and I didn't want anything to do with him right now.

Finally, the door swung free and I stepped outside. "Tell Justin," I said, my voice a hoarse whisper, "He can burn in hell!" The door closed in Liv's surprised face and I made a mad dash for my beat-up Camry as a fresh wave of tears streamed down my face. By the time I had slipped into the front seat of my car, I was crying uncontrollably. And I'm not talking cutesy little sniffles like the prissy girls in the movies. I'm talking heaving sobs that wracked my entire body, tears pouring from bloodshot eyes, and weird wheezing noises that I didn't even know I could make.

I calmed myself down a while later and forced myself to take a deep breath and put the key in the ignition. If I could just make it back to the house, I'd be okay. All I needed was to be safely locked in my room with the hell that was my life on the other side of the door, and everything would be better. I could hold it together for that long.