Still Love Her

Justin: Chapter 38

"Justin..."

"Justin..."

"Hey, Justin..."

"Are you still sick?"

"Justin?"

I mumbled something noncommittal in response and waited until Leo padded out of the room to push the covers off my head and force myself to sit up, wincing slightly as my head throbbed, "Damn it..."

"Justin?"

"Just a minute, Leo," I mumbled, "If you're in a hurry, ask one of your friends to pick you up."

"Uh, that's not it..." he coughed as he stood in the doorway, looking worriedly at me, "Dad wants to talk to you. In his study."

"Right..." I sighed, getting out of bed and moving to get dressed, throwing on a random shirt and jeans without any real thought before shuffling down to my dad's study.

When I entered the room, he turned his chair around and slipped off his glasses to look at me intently, "You look terrible."

I let out a short, humorless laugh at his words, "Is that what you called me in here to tell me?"

"Ah, no, sorry about that," he shook his head before continuing, "Your mother said that you weren't sick - physically, that is. Is something bothering you, son?"

"You could say that," I muttered.

"Did..." he looked rather guarded, "Did something happen between you and your girlfriend? You seemed... off after she left."

"I'm fine," I lied, avoiding the question, gritting my teeth a bit, unable to keep from feeling a slight surge of anger. It wasn't his fault, I knew, but a small part of me couldn't help feeling a little resentful somehow. Maybe if he'd just been a bit more welcoming, or... something. But that didn't matter now. "I have to get Leo to school. Can I go now?"

Looking me up and down with the same intent gaze as before, he finally nodded, "Right. Have to keep those grades up, even if you're heading to a music school."

His words felt like knives right to my chest. Turning so he couldn't see my expression, I mumbled, "I don't think music's going to be in the cards anymore."

"Oh? But you seemed so excited about it just the other day."

"Well, I'm not anymore, okay?" I snapped, "Can we just drop it?"

"Of... Of course, son," he said haltingly, "Now... you need to get to school now, don't you?"

Without another word, I left the room, going to put on a pair of sneakers, brush my teeth, and grab my bag before meeting my brother out by the car.

"Justin?" Leo looked at me with concern written on his face, "Are you sure you're okay to go to school?"

"I'll be fine," I managed to get out, throwing my bag in the back before sliding into the car with Leo and pulling down the drive. I felt like I was barely present in my own mind as I drove to Leo's school.

"Hey, um..." Leo hesitated as he was about to get out of the car, "I'm sorry if I... if I scared Piper off. I was just joking around about how you were so in love with her... I didn't know..."

"Stop," I cut him off, pulling him into a hug, "You didn't do anything Leo. She... it wasn't about anything you said, all right? Don't blame yourself when it's not your fault." I let go of him to look him in the eye.

"Right..." he scrubbed at his eyes for a moment, trying to force himself not to cry, "I'll see you after school." Grabbing his backpack, he quickly hopped out of the car and raced up to the school, waving over his shoulder before disappearing from sight.