Dating Advice and Night Terrors

Chapter 5: Piper

Today has been a giant bowl of suck. Wake-up, take a beating, get Justin freaking Cameron for a lab partner, take another beating, and now somehow I'm riding in a Ferrari on my way to pick up my little sister from school. And, oh by the way, Justin freaking Cameron is the one driving the Ferrari.

Honestly, I didn't think I'd ever been so glad to see my sister's middle school. Especially after how I'd flipped out on him like an irrational bitch.

"Do you... uh, do you really think I'm pretty?"

"Beautiful," he had murmured, his cheeks reddening slightly in embarrassment.

"Then you're either crazy or you're just trying to get into my pants," I'd snapped.

I was a real sweetheart - note the sarcasm. When we pulled into the parking lot, Justin was looking over at me like he wanted to say something else, but I refused to meet his eyes. I looked past him out his window and spotted Sadie running over, hand-in-hand with a brunette boy. How did she know I was riding with Justin today? When Justin stepped out of the car, I almost face-palmed. Of course... the brunette was his little brother Leo.

"Hey, kiddo," Justin said, ruffling his little brother's hair. I saw the love and admiration in Leo's eyes and felt my heart melt. But then I reminded myself that I used to look at my father like that and my heart turned back to stone. "Who's this?"

"This is my friend, Sadie," Leo answered eagerly, "Her sister picks her up everyday, but she's late. I told Sadie she could ride with us."

"It's okay, I-I can just w-wait," Sadie stammered. Her face turned pink when she looked at Justin. Does everyone have a crush on Mr. Perfect? Good lord, even my own sister...

"No, it's fine," Justin laughed, making my sister blush even harder, "Especially since your sister's already riding with me."

"Really?" Sadie gasped, she peered around him and spotted me sitting in the passenger seat. I waved at her with a weak smile. "PIPER!" she squealed, dashing over. I got out of the car and she squeezed me in an anaconda-like hug.

"Hey, Sades," I giggled when she finally let go, "I got into some trouble with some girls at school so I had to hitch a ride with my..." I paused, uncertain of what I should call Justin, "friend, Justin."

"That's cool," she replied, her hazel eyes twinkling, "How many girls did you take on this time?"

"Only three," I answered, "But they got me at a bad time."

"Drat," she pouted. She grazed her hand over the scratches on my cheek and I winced, "Which one of them did this?"

"Ugh, Maddie Swanson," I made a face and Sadie laughed, "Let's talk about something less gross now."

"Are you dating Justin?" she asked, out of the blue.

"I said something less gross," I said drily.

"Justin is not gross," she squeaked, a hint of her earlier blush returning to her cheeks, "He's really, really cute. Like a movie star."

"Yes," I teased, "And just like the movie stars, he's way too old for you."

"He's only seven years older!" she protested.

"Why don't you try looking for someone your own age," I suggested with a smile, "Like Leo over there."

"L-Leo?" she stuttered, "I don't like Leo."

"Oh really?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I don't," she insisted.

"O-kay," I said doubtfully.