The Protector's Promise

Chapter 18: Justin

"What?" I blinked incredulously. Of all things, why would Piper ask me to sing for her? She could be... I gulped, refusing to finish that thought.

"I... heard... you," she said, sounding wispy and weak. It was almost like her words were fading out, and it scared the shit out of me. Because what if it wasn't just the words that were fading away? "You... have... a... beautiful... voice."

"Piper..." I groaned. I really hated singing in front of people - any people - and I really wanted - needed - to get more information about her attack. As much as I hated to think it, this might be my last chance to ask her questions.

"Please," Piper whispered, the strength in her voice dwindling even more, "Need...a... distraction."

I swallowed hard and looked into her deep brown eyes. If this was going to be the last thing she ever asked me for... did I really want to deny her request? So I nodded slightly and started singing,

"When you try your best, but you don't succeed

When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

Tears stream down on your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
Tears stream down on your face
And I...

Tears stream down on your face
I promise you that I will learn from mistakes.
Tears stream down on your face
And I...

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you."

"You... remembered..." she smiled weakly.

"Always," I chuckled slightly. Then I started to sing the song one more time.

"Thank you..." she murmured, barely audible.

I cut off when I saw her eyes fall closed a moment later. Was she...? No, she was still breathing, thank god. I swallowed hard, "Piper...?"

She didn't respond, but she kept taking rattling, wheezing breaths as she lay motionless on the floor with her head on my lap. Even now, the pain didn't leave her face. How could someone - not just someone, but her own father - do something like this to her? And why would she lie to me about something like this? Keep all of this a secret for god-only-knows-how-long?

She twitched a bit and let out a sharp gasp. I stared down at her worriedly. The hospital was a few towns over... and I'd heard that the ambulances took forever to get to this part of town. They didn't care about the poorer people who probably can't afford medical insurance or medical bills. I felt my jaw clench at the thought. Piper needed to get to the hospital. Now.

I could drive her to the hospital in my car instead of helplessly waiting around for an ambulance that might never come, but at the same time, I was concerned that if I move her I might make her injuries worse somehow. I looked down at her face that was still contorted in pain and made my decision.

I gently slipped her head from my lap and got to my feet. Then I carefully scooped her up and cradled her against my chest. A faint smile tugged at the corners of my mouth when she snuggled up against me, just like the last time.