Late Night Blues

I can hear the sleepless city. The chanting, the cars, the construction, the music, all of it. I couldn't sleep anyways. But a thought ran my mind lately at night. What I said earlier "I want to protect and serve". What drove me to say that. The thought of redemption for my father's last wish or is it, and always been, in my blood. Or...is it because of the past?

Memories. Family, friends, war, blood, and the horrid taste in the air. That is all I can remember. So what drove me to say that? I look out the window only to see the Towers blocking the moon light. "Wait, is it fear?" I said to myself. Could it be fear? It is the only answer I have for so yes, it is fear. The fear of losing another home and losing people no matter who they are. I guess being a police officer will unchain me from fear. The last time I felt fear was when I went into my first battle, The Sin Scholar battle.

It was winter, the beginning of the sky war. I was very young but I wanted to prove my worth to my dad and for the kingdom. Our mission was to assassinate a general that was the commander of the flight soldiers. My squad, Xenith, Eli and I were the ones who had to assassinate him. It was not easy. Our army did a distraction at the front gates, with only light casualties, they managed it. We went around the back where only little patrols were. Snuck into the castle, took out some guys and started heading into the throne hall. Next thing I know my squad was down and the general had his elites there ready to kill me. That's when I first felt fear. So I had no choice to bring out the "Eagle" that I inherited from my father. The Eagle is the inner spirit animal that once took control of my father to save his home. The most powerful wings any archangel can have. The moment you activate them, you have no control of your body. So I activated them and I couldn't see anything, but I can feel warm wetness. My vision came back and all I can see was my squadron looking at me with complete horror. Curiosity got the best of me, so I turned around and I was horrified myself. The lord puddles, the decapitated bodies, the amount of weapons stuck onto the general was disturbing. But it is something I had to get used to at the time. So fear has driven me not to lose to the general that was threatening my home. I had to save my home, no matter the cost.

I snapped out of my dream when some familiar faces opened my door. "Oh my goodness , are you OK?!" Judy yelled as she quickly ran by my side. "I'm OK Judy it barley hurts" I said so she can calm down. Nick walked in. "What happened" Judy said. "After I got out of the station, I walked for a bit. I didn't know where I was going but I didn't really care. I was at the rainforest part of town walking on a bridge until someone was shooting at me. I started to run across while the gunman was shooting at me. I made it to the treeline only to find a bear with a knife attacking me. I did what I had to." I stopped so they can collaborate. Nick was writing down everything I said and his ears dropped. "What do you mean by "what you had to"?" He said. "Let's just say I gave him back his knife" I said with a smirk. "We'll do an investigation but in the meantime rest." Judy said with a soft smile. "I'll be happy to accompany you on this investigation" I said. "Your one tough gun you know" Nick said as he softly punched me on my arm. They left. I tried to sleep but I couldn't. The city was sleepless and I kinda like it.