Chapter 40

I storm to Marie's room, the wooden stairs creaking under my forced weight.

The raging protectiveness making my nerves feel like electrified hot wires is unexpected, I didn't know I cared deep down. Apparently I underestimated my own emotional capacity.

I hesitate, deciding whether to knock on the door, before kicking the door open. This attracts the attention of pretty much everyone in the homestead. They keep their distance, poking their heads out of their doors and around the corner of the wall and between the railings on the stairs.

Newt, previously studying a book of sorts, jumps to his feet.

How dare he force his way into permanently residing in Marie's bedroom, Marie's life. Obviously without Marie's consent.

"You shuck wit, how dare you sneak around you lying bastard."

"Whoa." He raises his hands innocently, "Lying bastard? Look Anne, I don't know what the problem is."

"Did you even ask for Marie's consent?"

"Marie's consent? Obviously you don't know the full story." He seems to find this situation humorous.

"You think it's funny?"

He just snickers and shakes his head, looking curiously past me and out the door to our accumulating audience.

"I know full well the story here. Pressure, harassment, no consent obviously. You took advantage of her weakness." I clench and unclench my fists.

"I don't know what your problem with me is." He looks back to me, his eyes dark. "I'm not scared of you." He looks me up and down judgementally.

Like I said before, everyone has a side to themselves they like to keep hidden. I guess I'm uncovering Newt's.

"And don't think that just because you're heartless enough to purposely hurt me I'm going to be scared of you. I don't care that your sleeping with the leader. You don't scare me and you have nothing over me. Your like a soulless child who uses other peoples weakness against them. Move aside and let me-"

I don't let him finish. I kick him in the ribs, somewhat impulsively and possibly on instinct..... I can just blame it on that.

His slender frame seems to concave as he clutches his side and gasps for breath.

"You don't know anything about me." I snarl, putting my hands up, ready.

"I can say" He coughs, "the exact same to you." He says, his accent just as strong as ever.

If Newt hadn't done the worst thing he could've possibly done, I would feel bad for him. His slender frame, open face and boyish features are deceptive when it comes to the hateful venom that passes through his gritted teeth.

He looks over my shoulder pointedly and I turn to see what he's looking at. Knowing immediately that he's trying pathetically to trick me I turn, raising my hands in defence, but it's too late. His elbow connects with my jaw and it goes slack as I am propelled into the door frame.

No one races in to stop or assist the situation, and I wouldn't expect anyone to. Newt is too high up in the leadership ladder, and maybe they think of me in Alby's inner circle, although I've no idea what would lead them to believe that even though it is sort of true.

He pushes himself forward, aiming to run past me out the door.

I shove him into the back wall and he hits the back of his head, but not hard enough to keep him down. He gets up quickly, raising his hands in defence, mirroring me.