Chapter 11

Clary shivered as she pulled her jacket tighter to her body. After leaving Magnus', they went to the New York Institute. Even though Clary had lived in New York she had never been to the Institute. The Herondale's ran it with the Lightwood's. They had been banished from Idris for being in The Circle.

As they piled in the elevator, Clary thought about Jonathan. How had she not have know he was a demon? All her life he had been her protective big brother. But he hadn't been, Sebastian is her brother. Clary felt sick every time she thought about it, which was quite often.

Valentine's Daughter. That's who she was. Clary was angry with her mother. How could Jocelyn not tell her something like this? Jace had barely looked at her. Clary knew he was hurt, how could he not be? Maybe Sebastian was right, maybe she did have a darkness in her.

They all stepped out of the elevator. The sound of heels clicking like gunshots greeted them. Mayrse Lightwood, a tall woman with long black hair and narrowed blue eyes, walked towards them.

"Mom!" Isabelle cried out. She ran over and tightly embraced her mother. Alec did the same. Jace just stood next to Clary, his hands in his pockets. Another women walked in. She was slightly shorter than Mayrse, and had a strange vulnerability about her. Celine Herondale.

"Jace, what are you doing here?" She said, confused. Jace embraced her and sighed. Clary felt out if place and... homesick. She missed her mother, and Jonathan.

They all sat down. Jace explained to everyone the story. To say Mayrse was pissed would be an understatement. Her face was red, her breathing heavy.

"But don't worry we know where they are." Jace said.

"Then why aren't you there?" Celine said softly, patting Jace's back motherly.

"We need a place to stay for the night." Isabelle cut in cheerfully.

Mayrse stared at Clary for a long moment."How can you trust this girl so easily. She is Valentine's daughter." Her voice was cold and crisp. Clary only looked at the ground. She didn't need to be reminded. Clary felt someone put their hand on her shoulder.

Jace stood behind her, his golden eyes glared at Mayrse. "Leave Clary alone Mayrse." Jace squeezed her shoulder reassuringly. Clary felt herself smile.

***

Celine led Clary to an empty room and smiled comfortingly before leaving.

The Institute was quite, everyone asleep.

A soft knock interrupted Clary's thoughts. Clary opened the door and saw Jace. He leaned against the doorframe casually.

Clary felt her heart jump. It always did when she saw Jace.

"Do you need someth-" Jace didn't let her finish. He smashed his lips to Clary's. Clary didn't hesitate to kiss back. She tangled her fingers in his silky hair.

Jace pulled back first. "I love you. I need you to know that." He said breathlessly. "You don't have to say it back, but I had to tell y-" Clary interrupted him this time.

"I love you too."Clary looked him in the eye, letting him know she meant it. Jace kissed her again. This time it was desperate, as if he was proving to himself that she was real. Clary kissed back just as desperately.

Jace layed Clary on the bed gently, lovingly. His hands hesitate, his eyes questioning.

Clary smiled and nodded before she leaned up and kissed him again She loved him, and she always had.

Silently Clary thanked the Angel she went to that stupid Shadowhunter Highschool.