Chapter 2

"You can see them?" I questioned as he set himself back in his chair. Meanwhile, Mrs. Seneca was talking about the Holocaust.

He laughed quickly, shifting his eyes back and forth, "See what? My Social Studies teacher be a little too happy about thousands dying?" I shook my head. Maybe I really am crazy. I devoted myself to class and taking long detailed notes, just like I always do. The bell rang, cutting Mrs. Seneca's comparison of Hitler to Napoleon tragically short. I sprinted back to homeroom, throwing my things on a desk and plunking down to finish my book. In what seemed like no time at all, the final bell rang. I got up calmly, letting everyone else scream and tear out of the room like a bunch of psychotic maniacs on a killing spree. And I'm the one that's a freak. After a minute, the hallways were clear, so I walked out to my locker, number 13, a lovely touch. Spinning the dial, I entered in my code and tossed in my books, arranging them so it looked like someone with OCD had this locker. Someone slammed into the locker next to mine.

"How are you Kathleen Ellen Fisk?" Richard asked. I swung my backpack over my shoulder and ignored him, walking away. Today was bad enough, I didn't need some kid new to Pinetrov to make it worse. I would ask him about the ghosts, but there are still people around. Besides, he likely already thinks I'm insane. There's no way I'm going to give Richard a reason to justify that. He ran in front of me, blocking the door to exit.

"Get outta my way."I snarled at him.

"Please, just hear me out!" he said, suddenly desperate.

"You have 10 seconds. Go." I replied, shoving him out of the way and stalking away.

"You're in danger! Let me help you!" He claimed, grabbing my shoulder.

"Oh really, from what?" I returned, tapping my foot impatiently.

"Your mother is dead." He whispered.

"Liar!" I shrieked, shoving him out of the way as I ran away. My house was only a few blocks away. I could get there in a matter of minutes. There was no way my mom was dead. I had just seen her a few hours ago. If I lost her... I can' think about that. My dad was an awful person.

I'd rather have him dead than her.

I raced in the front door, finding it unlocked. My mother never locked the door unless I was home anyway. I walked in the kitchen and found her there, looking up at me then smiling. Relief flooded through me, and I plopped down on the couch, my heart racing.

Her image was whisked away on a breeze from an open window.

It wasn't possible! She can't be a ghost! She can't be gone! There's just no way! I ran through the house, my heart even more rapid than it had been. There was no sign of struggle, no mess. Everything was in place. She had just disappeared.

"Kat," a voice said behind me. It was one I never ever wanted to hear. My father hugged me from behind, "Mom just skipped town. I found this, here." He handed me a note written on sky blue paper in red ink.

Katie,

I had to leave Pinetrov. There was just no way I could stay there. Your father will be there for you. Glasswater, the town where your dad lives, will be your new home. You'll be okay there. I'm sorry that I had to leave so suddenly. It'll be alright.

All my love,

Mom

There was no way that mom would leave like this. She would have told me. Where even is she? A tear slid down my cheek.

"There, there. You'll be okay. I'll take care of you. Now be a good girl and pack a bag. Take only what you need. Don't worry about school. You'll never have to come back again." He said. I went upstairs to my room. It was painted black with red blotches from where I messed up a swirl or two or thirty. Smiling to myself, I packed about a week's worth of clothes, and my favorite dress, jet black and floor length. You could say I used to be a little emo, or I could secretly be a vampire, which isn't true by the way. I finished packing the necessities and grabbed my contact lenses' and my glasses' cases. Walking downstairs, my dad through my suitcase in the back, while I got in the shotgun seat. He got in behind the wheel and turned the key.