Chapter 6

"W-we aren't-t-t related-d," I stuttered out, "you're a Jacob. I-I'm a F-Fisk. No relation whatsoever." I hid shaking hands behind my back. This was too much for me.

"Kathleen, the only reason I saved you is because of that. If you don't want to be related, you can gladly take the demon inside of me. I would much prefer the role of exorcist over being possessed." He, that is, my brother, kissed the top of my head in an elder brotherly way. He looked tired as his eyes changed back to red for a few seconds.

"I thought you weren't going to tell her until after it." Mrs. Jacobs remarked, turning her attention towards me.

"I was, but then she decided to make Caleb change back, so..." His voice trailed off, shrugging in a 'what am I to do' kind of way.

"Is it okay if I know your name?" I asked awkwardly.

My brother smiled slightly, as if amused by my childish wants before responding, "My name is Cormac."

"That's a lovely name." I said, with a small smile.

"It means impure son," He sighed, "My father hated me. Still would if he knew I was alive. Everyone in my actual family thinks I'm dead, not counting Mother."

"As much as I hate to interrupt this lovely moment, my husband is waiting for Kathleen." Mrs. Jacobs whispered to us. Caleb was still pale, but found the strength to smirk.

"Where are we going?" I said, breaking away from my brother. My left contact shifted in my eye, causing immense pain and likely a reveal of my natural eye color to everyone near me. I blinked, and it shifted back, but the others noticed.

"What is your natural eye color?" Richard asked.

"Well, since my cover has been made," I removed my contacts, poking myself in the eye only once, revealing my forest green eyes, and placed them the case I had thrown in my pocket prior to leaving my home. Before my dad was payed to let me be basically kidnapped.

"Even more beautiful than I could have imagined." Richard whispered. It was so soft I could barely hear him.

"Keep this up and I might actually tolerate you Richard Jacob." I advised him. Apparently, my advice pleased him more than anything, because the corners of his mouth lifted slightly, lighting up his golden eyes.

"If you make it out alive Kathleen, then you two should totally get married." Cormac commented. The eldest brother hadn't spoken in a while. Apparently my brain decided to notify me now, since I was heading into a life-or-death situation.

"I'm Horatio," the eldest said, as if hearing my thoughts, "it means time keeper. Just in case you care." He lifted his head out of the book for a few seconds as he spoke, before going back to his book and becoming totally involved.

"Oh, here," Richard sheepishly handed me my glasses, "I grabbed them for you. Sorry I just kind of forgot that you needed them to see." He laughed at his own foolishness quietly before looking up quickly. I slipped on my glasses just in time to see something behind his eyes betray a certain sadness, as if I was being sent off into a Labyrinth. Perhaps one with a Minotaur in the center. Perhaps one with a prize in the center, leading me to a greater evil. Did I have enemies that could be in there? Were there weaknesses I could find? Was there even a way out?

Everything I could see became crisp and clear, while my thoughts were as muddled as a clouded pool.

"So, where are we going?" I asked again, bouncing on my heels. Mrs. Jacobs said nothing to me, but she did whisper something to Horatio who nodded slowly before putting his book down and grabbing Richard.

"What do we have to do?" Richard complained before walking out of the room with his brothers. They walked through the bookshelves and quickly became hidden to me, a row of fairy tales blocking the way. Cormac stood next to me.

"Kathleen, just go with your gut, alright? If you do, then you can make it back otherwise..." He pulled a finger over his throat.

"But, what's going to happen?" I asked brokenly.

"Don't worry dear. Nothing is going to happen that you can't handle." Mrs. Jacobs said with a supportive smile. I felt better. She gestured for me to follow her, so I did. Shelf after uneven shelf created a hilly landscape of books. Even the books on their shelves slowly rolled like waves. In the center of the store, where we had been standing, there was a slight clearing with only a single table with empty journals on its surface.

We reached a door in the back corner. It was locked, and Mrs. Jacobs pulled out a key. It looked vintage, as did the lock in which it fit. She opened the door, and a staircase going down was revealed. The stairs creaked when I stepped on them. The sound echoed of the close walls of the staircase. It was eerily quiet.

"Kathleen, here," Mrs. Jacobs handed me a key, stopping at the threshold I had just passed through, "you'll need this."

I turned around, as she thrust a silver key in my hand. Something flickered behind her eyes. I looked at her, "What's going on?"

Silence. Still, heavy silence. She looked up, brown eyes drooping like a dog's. I wished they would tell me everything I would ever need to know. I suddenly knew the meaning of 'ignorance is bliss'. I wish I was as ignorant of this world as I was yesterday. I wish I had been dealt a different set of cards.

"You don't have to do this," I told her, my voice far more pleading than it needed to be, "let me go. Please, Mrs. Shultz," I choked, wishing that was her real name. My throat closed off in fear. I was getting desperate, "please. I don't want to go. Please, I just want to go home." She looked at me without feeling, her eyes blank. Fear arose in me, going deeper until I could barely breathe. The cold forced itself into me, worse than anything else could have. Worse than death. My skin prickled, the cold racing around my veins, reaching my heart. There was no way out. Seconds ticked by, my pulse quickened. Her eyes expressed a feeling I can't name. Her look stole everything: joy, dreams, hope, love, life. It felt as if Death was leaning over my shoulder, stealing my breath from me far better than any thief could have.

The lock clicked loudly.