Chapter 5

"But I thought... How did you... You're my math teacher." I finally got out. Caleb looked pleased with my lack of completing sentences on the first try.

"Oh, I suppose this is better than revenge." Caleb said, smirking. His face was as pale as one of the new books on the shelves, and a small cough escaped his thin lips.

"Thanks for being entertained by my confusion. It could be worse you know. There are tons of things you don't know about me that would confuse you more than a pentamix." I retorted, moving out from behind the eldest into the middle of the irregular oval the Jacobs formed.

"What don't I know about you that I can't find out on my own?" Caleb said, making the oval normal.

"A lot, considering that you have no way to find out anything. After all, you aren't much older than me." I observed.

"I'm 18! I'm an adult-"

"Maybe you should start acting like one." I said brazenly.

A flurry of grey knocked me down. A white and grey wolf was baring his teeth at me. We were nose to nose. I shoved the creature off of me. The rest of the Jacobs stood there, doing nothing. Well, maybe not 'nothing'. The remaining Jacobs were holding a conversation I couldn't quite hear. The wolf, which was likely Caleb, decided to knock me down again. Only this time I was ready. I shoved him to the side. "Vacate! Werewolf cessabit!" The words fell out of my mouth faster than I could think. The wolf fell down and transformed back into a very pale looking Caleb who stood up shakily. A sudden silence fell over us.

"There is no way... I'm a werewolf... I can't even control... let alone anyone else..." Caleb stuttered, breathless. Everyone was staring at me. Suddenly, the second eldest Jacob brother grabbed me and slammed me against a bookcase.

"WHO TAUGHT YOU THAT?" He screamed at me.

"No one taught me-" I tried to answer. He shook me until my teeth rattled.

"I COULD KILL YOU RIGHT NOW!" He threatened. His eyes flashed red.

"What did you just do?" I asked, a weird innocent tone sliding in to my voice.

"Nothing!" He exclaimed.

"Oh god. Last time I saw eyes like yours..." My voice trailed dangerously off, remembering the sequences that ended up letting me see these things. A flashback took over my mind, clouding my already fuzzy vision even more.

A broken stone with the words 'possesed a diabolo'.

Red eyes with black shot through them as I'm spun around.

"Run."

The first ghost I ever saw, a charming boy, crying on a tombstone, a pale rose in his hand.

"You're him." My voice was broken glass. The pieces and words falling down. Although, perhaps crashing is a better word for it. Cutting me as much as they did the brother.

"I warned you. Did I not?" His voice was poison, slowly injecting itself into my veins. I felt as if I had been drenched in cold water. My pale skin resembled that of a vampire.

"I'm insane, that's what's going on," I mumbled, "all these years, all these days. You knew who I was. You caused this to me!" I said, accusing the Jacob of the horrendous time that likely only shared convenience with him.

"I did nothing to you only then help you. If anyone's to be blamed here, it's your mother." He told me.

"LEAVE HER OUT OF THIS! SHE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS!" I yelled at him, tears pricking the corners of my eyes.

"That woman you called mother is not actually your mother. Your mother is Elizabeth Cavin." He declared, grabbing my wrists slowly when I tried to shove him away.

"That is not true! My mother is not Elizabeth Cavin! Whoever she is..." I argued.

"Elizabeth Cavin is practically a ghost, and she's our mother."