Over the Moon

Lynn

After the life support meeting, everyone kept telling me how happy they were that I came. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but it might grow on me soon.

"So glad you came today, Lynn."

"Thanks, Steven."

While we were walking outside on the steps outside the community center, we saw two police men, trying to get a homeless woman to get up from where she was sitting. Brendon got his camera out and started to film.

"Come on, get up!"

"Hey, pal, this ain't no campground, wake up!"

We all watched while Brendon for closer to them.

"Smile for the camera, officers."

That made them walk away and leave the poor lady alone. She didn't look grateful for what Brendon did, more angry, actually.

"Who do you think you are? I don't need goddamm help from some bleeding-heart camera man. My life's not for you to make a name for yourself on."

"Easy, sugar, he was just trying to--"

"Just tryin' to use me to kill his guilt. It's not that kind of movie, honey. This place is full of artists. Hey, artists, you got a dollar?"

We all stayed silent, and looked away from her because we knew she made a good point.

"Didn't think so."

She walked away, and we walked down into the subway. When we walked down the stairs, we all looked annoyed, and Max started talking.

"New York City."

"Uh huh," said Brendon.

"Center of the universe."

"Sing it, girl," said Steven.

"Times sure are shitty, but I'm sure they can't get any worse."

"I hear that," I said.

"It's a comfort to know that when you're singing the hit-the-road blues, that anywhere else you could possibly go after New York would be a pleasure cruise."

"Now you're talkin'."

We all took our seats on the train, except Steven, who stood up in front of Max, and Brendon almost fell on me sitting down while the train was moving.

"Hey, guys? Let's open up a restaurant in Santa Fe. Sunny Santa Fe. Leave this place to the roaches and mice. Max, you can play gentle drums for music. Lynn, you can make the menu sparkle with rhymes. Brendon, you can brush the sauce onto the meat. I can seat guests as they come and talk about wine."

Steven went on and on about this restaurant in Santa Fe. He's not the only one of us who wanted to escape from New York. I think we would go to Santa Fe if we had money, but like the woman from earlier said, we don't even have a dollar.

After we got off the train, Brendon said that he was late to Sarah's soundcheck and that he needed to leave. And he made me go with him. Grea-a-a-at.

After a while when the soundcheck was finished, I went outside and saw people fill the alley way, here for Sarah's protest. I walked around, hoping to find Alexa somewhere to ask her to be my date tonight.

I looked around some more, and found her talking to someone. Someone with a familiar face I knew. I walked over to her and recognized the man immediately. My old drug dealer. When Max said that times can be shitty and that they couldn't get any worse, I figured out the hard way that it could get worse.