I Should Tell You

Lynn

It wasn't long until Brendon showed up. He came in less than five minutes after us. I saw him running outside before walking in, and I held the door for him before he ran in.

"Hey, are you okay? What happened to you?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Tonight, on the eleven o'clock news, the top story is gonna be your show, Sarah."

"How do you know that?"

"They bought my footage of the riot. They're gonna see the whole thing."

"Wait, you're serious?"

"Yep."

"Oh, I could just kiss you right now. As a matter of fact, I think I will."

Sarah pulled Brendon's head to hers and placed her lips on hers. Brendon's eyes went wide, and so did Hayley's.

"What can I do to repay you?"

Hayley got between the both of them and said, "Let the boy buy us dinner."

We went up to the host and he said, "Oh, no, please no. Not tonight, please leave."

"What are you talking about, why?" asked Brendon.

"Because you always sit here and never order anything."

"Hey, that's a lie, just last week I had a tea."

"You couldn't pay."

"Oh, yeah..."

"Well, tonight, we can. Ka-pow!"

Max pulled out a roll of money, all twenties. We put three tables together with other people that were at the protest tonight. I sat across from Alexa, Max and Steven sat together, Hayley and Sarah sat together at the end of the table, and Brendon sat next to me. A waiter came to our table and asked for what wanted to eat.

"So that's five miso soups, four seaweed salads, three soy burger dinners, two tofu dog platters, and one pasta with meatless balls?"

"Ew," I said.

"It tastes the same," said Steven.

"If you close your eyes," said Alexa.

"And thirteen orders of fries, is that it here?"

"Wine and beer!" yelled Hayley and Sarah.

At the table next to us, we saw Jenna sitting with a few other older people.

"Jenna McDougall!" yelled Sarah.

"You got a whole lot of nerve showing up here after what just happened."

She walked up to our table and put her hands on it like she meant business.

"Look, guys, tonight wasn't my fault."

"Go to hell," said Sarah.

"You put the cops on stand-by," said Brendon.

"Yes, but I never wanted it to get out of control."

"Well, it did. And I choose to blame you for putting the cops on stand-by in the first place. All those who agree with me, say I," I said.

Everyone at the table agreed and said I. Jenna went back to her table, and we continued dinner.

I wasn't talking to Alexa as much tonight, I've been trying to, too. I felt a little bad, she probably thinks I'm ignoring her or something.

"Hey, I'll be right back, I'm going to the bathroom," I said.

Before I walked in, someone grabbed my hand, and I turned around to see Alexa.

"Hey, did I do something wrong? I get invited and ignored all night long."

"No, no, you didn't do anything. It's me. Believe me, I've been trying, really. It's just..."

"Just what?"

"Lex, I've got a lot of baggage. I don't know if I--"

"Hey, it's fine. I've got my baggage too."

A little beep interrupted our conversation, it was my beeper, I had a little reminder thing to take my AZT.

"AZT break?"

"Yeah. Wait, do you..?

"Yeah."

"...Hold on, come with me."

I grabbed Alexa's hand, and took her outside with me. The door we went out of led to an alley with big trash bins. It was snowing out, and the snow was getting into our hair. Her hair looked beautiful with snowflakes in them. And the moonlight.

"I should tell you a lot of stuff right now. Er, more like need to tell you."

"Me too. Sorta. You first?"

"Long story short, I'm a disaster. I forget how to begin relationships, it's been a really long time since I've had one."

"Since... April?"

"Yeah..."

"It's okay. We can make that part go faster."

"What did you want to tell me?"

"The night when I asked you to light my candle, I blew the candle out just to get back in."

"Is it cheesy for me to say I forgot how to smile until your candle burned my finger?"

"Haha, yes, very. But sometimes cheesy is cute."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

Our heads started to lean in. I placed my head against hers, and I pulled her gently towards me and placed my lips on hers. Her lips were plump and soft, kinda like a wet sponge. When our lips parted, we looked at each and couldn't help but to smile.

"I'm getting cold, wanna go back inside?" she asked.

"Yeah, c'mon."

We backed inside, holding hands, and then we started to brush the snow off of each other. I was stroking her hair while getting the snow off, and then I leaned against the wall, and we started making out.

Everyone started to look at us, and kept saying, "Aweh!" We broke apart and I couldn't stop smiling. Neither could she. We went back to our seats, and Brendon looked at me and smiled bright.

"Why are you smiling like that?"

"I haven't seen you smile like that in a really long time, Lynn."

"Do you want me to tell you that you were right, or are you gonna say I told you so?"

"I like hearing people telling me I'm right, so first one please."

"You were right, Brendon. This relationship Alexa and I have may be really good for me. And her too."

"That's great. I'm really happy for you."

"Thanks. Now, when are you gonna stop seventh wheeling with us and get a girlfriend yourself?"

"Eh, not sure yet. Working on it though."

"Good luck."