Your Eyes

Lynn

First thing I did when I got to Santa Fe: sold my car. Bought a brand new guitar. I immediately knew I made the most stupid choice of my life when I got here. Besides leaving Alexa.

It kind of started when everywhere I looked, I saw Alexa. I thought I saw her walking into a diner I was in on my way here, I did a double take, but the second time she wasn't there. And that kept happening. It drove me nuts. I knew I needed to see her again. Be with her again. I kept thinking about what Max said to me. She knew I still loved her, and she knew I needed to tell her.

After I bought the guitar, I started playing on the streets for money so I could get a bus ride back to New York. I kept thinking about Alexa. I missed her. Late at night, it was non-stop thoughts of everyone in New York. I wanted is badly to get back there quickly. I was trying to work as fast as I could.

Late at night was also the time where I continued writing my song once again. This attempt, better than the first. I decided to write this about Alexa. And when I came back, I hoped she would be there for me to sing it to her.

After a week and a half, I got on a bus and finished a song on my way to New York. I finished a song. Wow. When I took a look at my notebook with all lyrics written down and read it over, I think I almost cried. That's how happy I was.

When I got to New York, I went home, hope that Brendon would be there. I ran inside, then upstairs. I looked all over, he wasn't anywhere. I knew he was here though. I ran up to the roof of our apartment, and found him looking down over the streets. Arms relaxed on the ledge. Hands folded.

"Brendon?"

He turned around, and his mouth dropped a little.

"Lynn? Please tell me I'm not dreaming, because I made a very important life decision today that I'm proud of."

"You're awake, no worries. Come here."

I pulled him into a tight hug, and I think he started to cry a little. I let go of him, it he held on for just a few seconds longer.

"Are you crying, Brendon?"

"Just a little."

"So, what was your very important life decision you made today?"

"I quit my job at Buzzline."

"What? Why?"

"I thought if I wanted to finish my documentary, I had to quit. I'm actually almost done with it. How about you? Why are you back?"

"I've realized how stupid I was for leaving."

"What changed your mind about leaving New York?"

"Alexa, actually. Max was right... I do still love her. So, while I was Santa Fe, I sold my car and bought a guitar. And you'll never guess what I did after."

"What'd you do?"

"I finished a song."

"You what?! Oh, my god, Lynn, that's great!"

"Yeah, it is. Probably the only New Year's revolution I've accomplished in my life."

"So, tell me about the so-o-ong."

"It's called 'Your Eyes.' It's about Alexa. I was hoping to sing it to her as a way to say I still love you. Speaking of, do you know where she is?"

"Oh, right, you don't know..."

"Don't know what? What happened, is she okay, is everything alright?"

"No, um, we actually don't know if she's okay or if everything is alright for her. Alexa's missing."