Wasabi

Saki's P.O.V.

The pig was certainly large, and definitely carnivorous.

We stared each other down, neither of us moving an inch.

I analysed every inch of it, just like how my 'father' taught me.

After years of dissecting animals for experiments, I can visualise the inner most parts of every animal and person without having to put scalpel to skin.

I could see from the build up of muscles in certain areas that this beast was built for charging.

"Compared to its closest related species, it's nose is rather large..."
I muttered, talking scientifically like Samejima always did when he was brainstorming.
"And such a rapid evolution is too imperfect to rule out ALL weaknesses.
The animal would try to compensate for that by...."

'THE FOREHEAD!! The nose protects the forehead!!'

Instead of diving for safety like most of its prey would as it chased them, I charged right at it, timing my leap perfectly to land a strong heel slam to its delicate forehead.

As predicted, the boar collapsed, the shock to its thin skull too much for the animal to take.

"Yes!!" I cheered, fist-pumping in triumph.

Then, as easily as I took the beast down, I swung it over my shoulder and started hauling it on my back towards the cooking stations.

As I walked past the other examinees, they gawked at me in awe as they were still trying to figure out how to sleigh the beast.

They might have also been gawking at the fact the pig was 5 times my size and I was carrying it like a backpack.

I pondered whether I should help my newfound friends but they seemed to have it covered.

As I arrived at my station, I placed the pig on the counter and crossed my arms.
'This.... Is going to be hard...
I've never cooked a single thing in my life.'

Samejima and I always had processed blocks of pure nutrients.
The perfect amounts of each component in the diet was prepared in chewy, tasteless cubes.
So... Obviously, cooking would be a challenge.

I sighed, 'I've never even tasted a roast pig before... How am I supposed to cook it...'

My eyes lit up as I formed an idea, pulling my laptop out of my rucksack and searching for recipes.

My smile soon faded, however, when I discovered the hundreds of different ways to prepare the dish.

'How can you possibly do so much with one thing?!!'

Filtering through all the different pages had my eyes swirling and steam billowing out of my head.

I'd always thought of myself as an intelligent person, but I appear to lack the ability to cope with the unknown...

I settled on a dish that looked quite pretty as I had no idea what would taste good.

"Ooooooookay, let's see.... Rub salt here.... Roast this heeeeeeeeree... Medium heat... Bit of salad.... Aaaaaaaand.... Voila??"

I tilted my head skeptically at the finished product.
'It looks like the picture...'
To make sure I tasted a small bit of it.
'Hmmm... To be honest, I've never tasted flavours other than 'bland' so I'm really in no position to judge this...'