Strong Legs

Saki's P.O.V.

Menshi landed upon the edge of the gorge effortlessly, spider eagle egg in hand.

'... So,' I pondered, 'spider eagles lay their eggs in gorges so that predators can't reach them... And we have to retrieve one?'

I furrowed my brows sceptically, there was no way that web could hold all the applicants at once, but most likely all the examinees will jump at the same time.
Morons.

Problem was, if I didn't jump with them, the examiners would think I forfeited.

Tough decision.

It would most likely lead to me using my powers to safely return me to the edge, which would draw attention to me, thus revealing my techniques and making me a target.

But... I could jump now whilst everyone is hesitating, and use the cloud and fog in the gorge to cover my escape...

I turned and smiled to my friends who were also gawking at the feat before them.

"I'm gonna go early, see you soon guys!" I chirped.

Before they could process what I said, I left my bag by the edge and flipped into the gorge.

"SAKI!!!"

Their yells were whipped away by the wind as I hurtled down the gorge.

As I was descending, I discreetly tapped my orders to the gemstone, my composure completely calm.

The web approached quickly, passing by almost in a blur as I fell.
I stealthily grabbed an egg during my free-fall.

Turning in midair, I watched the other applicants smirk and gasp as I bypassed the web and fell into the fog.

'Okay, show time!'

I spread my free arm and legs, slowing my decent somewhat.

Then the roots around my arm hummed with energy as they began their change.

They retracted and shot out like a bullet, both ends piercing the sides of the gorge like butter and stopping my fall with a certain elasticity a plain wooden staff could never achieve.

Then as the vines grew taut with my weight, they surged with a new energy which had them contracting like an elastic band and sending me hurtling upwards.

I emerged from the smog, parting the smoke and souring upward like an angel.

Jaws dropped as I reached the peak of my flight just at the edge and walked on to the surface before them like I'd merely been for a leisurely stroll.

I breezed through a crowd of shocked faces, egg in hand, towards a beaming Gon and a bewildered Killua.

"WOW! THAT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME SAKI-CHAN!!" Squealed Gon who had stars in his eyes.

"S-she can't even handle a blimp... H-how the hell..." Killua whispered under his breath.

"How'd you do that, Saki-chan?" Came the cool collected voice of Kurapika, who had approached our little group.

I grinned, sending a silent 'thank you' to the gem that was humming in content, concealed beneath my sleeve.

"You see, Kura-chan, I have really strong legs, so when I landed on the bottom I just jumped right upwards!!" I  lied, giggling softly.