Chapter 8

Heat immediately shot through my body. I don't know if I was scared or confused. I couldn't pick one. My face was utter shock. We stood in silence for god knows how long. Damien just looked at me. He kept turning his head. He must have been trying to figure out what I was thinking but honestly I didn't know what I was thinking. Should I be scared? Should I run and never look back? What if there's an explanation? Although do I really want to know the explanation? My breathing become heavy. I felt like I might pass out. Maybe that would be a good idea. Pass out and never wake up. Here I am standing in front of this gorgeous guy and all I can think is what have I got myself into? I ran away with Damien. A vampire. He's not one of us. Vampires are very dangerous. I've never seen one in my life till I met Damien. I was starting to fall for him and here I am wishing I could get rid of those feelings. How could I be so stupid? My eyes filled with tears. I couldn't control them anymore as they slid down my cheeks.

" Scarlett?" Damien said

I loved the way he said my name  rolling off his lips. I couldn't answer. I just keep letting tears fall. Damien reached over and pulled me to his chest. I wanted to try and fight it but I eventually gave in and let him hug me. By now I was completely crying into his shoulder as he hugged me tighter.

" Scarlett, I want you to know I would never, ever hurt you and if I did I would personally kill myself" Damien said

I don't know what came over me but I had to ask.

" Why did you do it?" I asked

" Sit down with me and I will explain it to you" Damien said taking a seat on the couch.

I sat down myself. I couldn't be scared. I wasn't. To overcome fear, you have to confront it. I placed my hands in my lap waiting for him to tell me.

" It was a long time ago. My mother was my father's soulmate. He loved her. She was an amazing mother to me. I'm sure my father was very envious of that. I don't know why he would be. I mean he is the father and I am the child. It's a different love. You could say my father is a very jealous person. He wanted my mother all to his self. He was very obsessed with her. It was around 10:00 at night. I was ten years old when it happened. I didn't know what has happened. I heard screaming and shots being fired. I ran outside. In front of me was a blazing fire. The trees were covered with it. My father's clan's houses were being burned down. I moved through our village at the time searching for my mother and father."

Damien took a long pause. He was looking out the window. He wouldn't look into my eyes. I placed my hand on his arm. Damien finally looked at me. His eyes were dark.

" Continue" I said

" I found my father. I tried to yell for him but when I approached him, I stopped to look. There in front of me was my mother. She looked as if she was possessed. Twitching and screaming in pain. It almost looked like she was having a seizure. I was horrified. I didn't know what to do and god knows my father didn't know what to do. She was tied with rope to a tree. Fidgeting like crazy. The screaming got louder. It was ringing so badly in my ears that they started to ring as if I couldn't hear. My father turned to me and handed me a gun.

Damien paused one more. He looked as if he was trying to figure out how to say the next part. I squeezed his hand and by the look on his face, it seemed to calm him down. I was waiting patiently for him to tell me the rest of the story. It was a full two minutes before he spoke.

" What happened next?" I asked anxiously

" My father gave me the gun. He said she's in pain son. You have to shoot her. I asked him why me? He said I can't do it. I'm her husband it won't work. This is your duty as the prince to kill anything that will harm us. You need to do this. Im the king it will not work. She was my queen. I asked my father why it wouldn't work if he did it and he never fully gave me an answer. He just screamed, stop asking questions and help our community. Do it now. I was ten and I wanted to be a good leader when he would step down. I pulled back the trigger. My mother looked up and her eyes were filled with tears. She knew what was coming.