Lousy Lemonade

Betty looked in the mirror for one last hair check. She smiled to make sure nothing was in between her teeth and with an extra sprits of perfume for good measure she walked out the door.

  Archie promised her a date today. Just the two of them. Just her, Archie, a table at Pop's, and a large caramel sundae, and Betty was too optimistic to see anything bad in it. Her mistake.

  Of course the word spread to Reggie, who told Veronica, who got angry at Archie. He insisted he was going to tell her, and through some random series of events, Reggie was going, Veronica was going and Jughead was going.

   Betty had no idea.

  The blonde walked up to Pop's to see Archie's side profile in the window. She smiled. As the door opened it was revealed that Archie had been sitting in the large booth, made for almost 8 people to sit at, but Betty didn't mind. She smiled and sat across from him.

  "Hi Archie," she blushed.

  "Oh hey Bets," the redhead looked up at her, his freckles stood out in the light of the lamp above. It only took 5 more minutes until Reggie ran in. He wore a tight varsity sweater and light jeans to match.

He went and punched Archie in the arm, "Let's get this party started with an air hockey match. Me, you and winner plays Jug."

  The redhead smirked, "Let's go."
Betty was dumbfounded. She was so lost to why the teenage boy with the largest ego in town had just swept up Archie to play air hockey on their date.

  She sat there on mindlessly scrolling through her phone until the familiar lights of a limousine shone through the window. Oh no.

  Veronica walked in proudly with her hair flowing backwards from the draft. All eyes went on her, especially those if Archie and Reggie. They all managed to squeeze in a booth, where Veronica was sandwiched between the redhead and the egotistical teen. Veronica wasted no time in waiting for the boys to buy her a dessert. She dropped hints and flipped through a menu. It didn't take long before the two were fighting their way out the booth to buy their dark haired temptress a drink.

  Veronica applied another coat of lipstick before smiling at Betty, "Hello Bets!"

"Hi Ron."

"You know I heard the best thing this morning from-"

  She was cut off by a milkshake and a sundae almost flung at her. Veronica clapped her hands and went immediately to her milkshake. Archie and Reggie took their seats again when a cup of lemonade was slid towards Betty. She peeked up to see Reggie wink and bring his arm back to the position around Veronica's shoulder. The blonde smiled and took a sip. Bitter.

  It was bitter, like her mood in this new situation. Lousy lemonade she scorned in her head.

  Jughead then walked in. His crown carelessly thrown on his head and his hair looked excruciatingly messy. He wore his red "S" shirt and black jeans. He made way to the counter before settling down next to Betty. They smirked at each other as Jughead put his arm around the back of the booth.

  Pop walked back over with a tray of fries, a burger, a slice of chocolate cake a large soda and a second fry tray. Jughead beamed and thanked him. Betty snuck her hands in to Jughead's plate to snatch some fries,the tall teen glared at her as she giggled sneakily. The mood had suddenly turned.

  The night was better than Betty imagined. Jughead beat the boys in air hockey, earning him a whole pizza that he shared with Betty. Veronica snuck in some kisses with Archie and Reggie, having them play more air hockey over who would drive her home. The rest of the time Veronica sat watching the competition for her affections and Betty and Jughead secluded themselves in a booth for two in the back.

  They shared the various foods Jughead bought and joked at each other in sarcastic friendship. There was one silence though, where Jughead stared at Betty until she ultimately asked him what was on his mind.

"That blouse is nice. Is it new?" The tall teen questioned.

  Betty looked down at her navy blue top, it was new, cost her an hour of counting her savings down to the penny so she would have a new outfit for her date with Archie. What a waste that was.

  "Yea it is," she felt her cheeks burn red.

  He smirked "Knew it."

  The two stayed until the place was empty. They were alone in a world of jokes and sarcasm. All the laughter was enough to make Betty reach for her old lemonade.

  Sweet. It was suddenly the best lemonade ever, or was it just her mood again, after all Jughead was there, and he made everything better for Betty.