Wretched Watermelon

Reggie walked up to Veronica hesistantly, he knew she would be angry not having her lotion for the second time in a row. He did however, bring a platter of watermelon slices from Veronica's kitchen. He hoped it would put her in a brighter mood.

"Oh Reggie! Thank goodness you're back! I'm starting to burn out here!"

He scratched his neck awkwardly chuckling and held out a watermelon slice to her, "Melon?"

Veronica picked one up delicately, looking Reggie up and down, "You forgot my lotion didn't you?"

"You see, about that . . . The door was locked and I-"

"Wait a sec. The door was locked?"

"Yes it was and I couldn't get in and I couldn't find Archie and Betty and I-"

Veronica's mind shut out his voice after that. The pieces were aligning themselves in her mind. Betty went inside. Archie went inside. The door was locked. Images ran through her head she felt herself becoming disgusted. Was Betty cheating on Jughead? Was Archie cheating on Veronica!?

The brunette handed her fruit back to Reggie and began pacing inside. Reggie left the platter on the patio table and ran in after her.

As soon as Veronica figured she was out of sight of her friends outisde, she began running quickly into her mansion. Reggie tried hard to catch up with her but surprisingly Veronica was faster.

They turned the corner to the room and saw Archie walking down the corrider towards them. He held out his hand, which was holding his girlfriend's tanning lotion.

"Look Ron! I found your lotion!"

Veronica snatched the bottle from his hand and pointed it back in his face, "Why did you lock the bathroom door?"

Archie felt his heartbeat pulsing rapidly in his head, "Sorry Ronnie, but I had to go," he chuckled, rubbing the back of his head.

Veronica's face went red, and she put her head down, "Oh , um ok Archiekins tha-that's alright."

Reggie realised he still hadn't found Betty,"Where's Betty?"

There was a lump in Archie's throat, "She-she's taking a nap in Ronnie's room," he croaked, fiddling with his fingers.

Veronica sighed in relief and locks her fingers with Archie's , "Poor girl, probably worn out from all that swimming," she giggled softly.

Reggie followed the two out of the house, Betty still flooding his thoughts. He hated to do it, but he wanted to call Jughead. His phone was on the patio table, taunting him to call Betty's boyfriend. The tips of hia fingers hesitantly ran along the power button on the side of the phone. He sighed and returned to the pool. Jughead couldn't do anythying, he wasn't even here. He couldn't be sure that Archie was lying either. It's not like he killed her or anything . . . Right?

He found all the girls crowded around Veronica, helping her apply her tanning lotion while thr boys had found their way into the pool.

"Gosh it's so hot out here," Nancy complained, the cold water of the pool was fine, but out in the sun she could feel the burning heat seeping into her skin.

She pulled her curly black hair up into a temporary ponytail with her hands, fanning the back of her neck.

"Ronnie, do you have a hair tie I can borrow?"

Veronica pressed her finger to her lips, thinking about her many hair accessories.

She stood up again, "I think there's some in my room, let's go look."

Midge and Nancy followed Veronica back into her room. Being the second time Veronica had trekked the stairs, she regretted not staying outside and working on her tan. After a few minutes they reached the bedroom, slowly opening the door as to not disturb Betty.

Veronica and Nancy went to Veronica's vanity, searching through the perfectly organized drawers (in which Veronica still managed to forget where things were).

Midge watched and sat down on the bed, the mattress dipping, making Betty roll over to lie right by Midge's hip. The brunette girl brushed her fingers through Betty's hair, but something caught her attention. A purple mark printed on to her forehead. She pushed her finger against Betty's cheek, getting no response. Then she squeezed her shoulders, then pulled at her hair. No movement from Betty. Midge practically jumped from her spot and yelped loudly.

Veronica and Nancy turned around quickly, Midge practically running at them.

"B-Betty's hurt I-I don't know why sh-she has a mark on her face and she won't move a-and-"

Veronica and Nancy hopped onto the bed. Nancy held Betty's face in her hands and shook her.

"Don't do that!" Veronica screeched, her adrenaline washing away all her patience.

Nancy stopped, but pressed her ear to Betty's chest. It was quiet for a few seconds, the slience ripping at their ears.

All the girls were practically in tears. Their heads spinning and heart pumping blood erratically. Veronica's hands were shaking, Midge tapped her foot rapidly, biting her nails, and Nancy, well Nancy was busy desperately trying to find a sign of life.

Nancy sighed in relief, holding her hand to her chest, "She's alive."

Veronica and Midge let out the long breaths they were holding in their lungs.

"I think someone hit her."

All their eyes turned wide looking at each other.

Midge bit her lip anxiously, her memories of only a few hours ago spilling out of her mind and out through her lips, "Was it Archie?"

Veronica looked at her, an offended expression on her face, "Are you accusing my precious Archiekins of hurting her!?"

Nancy stood up and placed her hand on Veronica's shoulder, "He was the only one in here with her."

The rich brunette stepped away from them, feeling angry that they would suspect her sweet boyfriend Archie of hurting her best friend. She paced back and forth, running her fingers through her hair. Everything she tried to remember made her head hurt.

Nancy and Midge were told everything of course, Veronica was not exactly the best at keeping things to herself.

"Ron, the door was locked, Betty's hurt, Archie was the only one here. . . I mean, what else could've happened?"

Veronica felt her heart clench in her chest, disgusting thoughts running through her head again. The tears welled up in her eyes, running down her rosy cheeks. She ran into the restroom and locked the door, trying to catch her breath. She sat on the floor, listening as her teardrops splattered on the tiled floor.

She stood up, trying to compose herself, and leaned over on the sink counter. She looked up at herself in the mirror and spotted something interesting. Her hairspray. The cheap hairspray she never used. She kept it in the back of the shelf, behind everything else she used often. The can was in front of everything. The lid was missing.

  Veronica picked up the can and sped out the door.

  "I found this," she handed it to Nancy.

  "What does this have to do with anything?" Midge questioned, hands on her hips.

  Veronica slid onto the bed and clawed through the sheets. The lid was under the sheets, right at Betty's ankles.

  "I think someone hit her with this."

  "Archie."

All the girls turned to the bed, shocked at the sound. Betty rolled over on her side facing them, looking at them through hazy eyes.

  "Archie."

a/n : oh wow that was weird lmao. how did i think of this?? idek know. sorry if you guys think this story had a weird turn with this and you don't like it. honestly i just felt like writing angsty but i don't think it worked lolol srry

Anyways, i luve y'all!!

  ~grey