Burnt Brownies

Despite his actions, a tight knot was forming in Jughead's chest. He was anxious, nervous, jittery, every word that could describe his uncomfortable situation. He knew he wasn't Betty's quote on quote "boyfriend", but he also didn't want her talking to any other boys. He certainly waited long enough to earn her love even just for a day. The date was still a work in progress, cheesy romantic gestures weren't exactly the teen's forte.

As they approached the school he could practically feel the change of atmosphere. A school with a Betty-less Archie seemed difficult to imagine. Jughead heaved a heavy breath as he followed the blonde into school, her ponytail swinging in rhythm with her hips. Then, they were inside. He felt eyes turn to them, felt the stares adoring Betty's body. Fuck off. He muttured in his head.

Although unnoticed by Jughead, Betty was in a most uncomfortable situation as well. Nearly every male at Riverdale High had their sights set on her. She felt scared, was this what it felt like to be chased after? To be wanted by someone who didn't want you? Is that how Archie felt about her? She quickly diverted her mind from thoughts of the redhead. Her first day without Archie would not involve him if she could control it.

Betty walked closer to Jughead, locking her fingers with his, hopefully the stares would fade and the newly formed romance would be noted by the bystanders. The tall male was a bit in shock to the action. Holding hands? The first day you come back to school without Archie? They made it to Betty's locker, where she began switching out her books and admired herself in the mirror for a few seconds. Then, a truly terrifying event was about to take place. Reggie. Reginald Mantle. He came pacing quickly towards the locker straight towards Betty. He stood directly in front of Jughead and made his attemps at the blonde. Jughead was furious.

"Good morning gorgeous! How's it going not tagging after Archie anymore?"
Betty bit her tongue and peered over Reggie's shoulder to Jughead, who's gaze was practically boring holes into the back of Reggie's skull.
She smiled softly and leaned back into her locker, "I'm doing wonderfully thank you for your concern."
Reggie raised an eyebrow, "What you have someone else in mind now?"

The blonde raised her eyebrow in return, "That information is confidential Reginald."
Reggie leaned in closer, combing a hand through his thick black hair, "Would that information include me?"
He smirked and ran his hand across her cheek. She turned her head away and could see Jughead still glaring with a burning gaze.

Betty forced another smile, "It would indeed not include you."
This time Jughead scoffed loudly and began making his was to the cafeteria at a fast pace. Betty peered over Reggie's shoulders and watched him leave. She felt herself run over with guilt and the sudden need to run to him. She quickly pushed Reggie off and sped towards Jughead.
"What's the matter Cooper? You scared without Arch?"
The blonde stop suddenly in response to his words. She wasn't upset that he mentioned Archie, but the fact that she really was only seen as his follower, his second hand girl, that made her really think about herself. She turned quickly and jogged to him.

She puffed up her chest and placed her hand on her hips as if she was preparing for a wild act of domination, marking her turf, "Would you mind that I am not afraid without Archie? That someone else is there for me that's not him or you? That I can't like anyone else? Well I do. And he wears a crown."

  Reggie was dumbfounded. He watched as Betty ran down the hall and her blonde ponytail disappear behind the corner. He wasn't sure whether he should be surprised or not. Jughead and Betty were always together anyways, and them dating would make sense. He just wantes to see how this would sort out once Archie found out. He then raced after her to see how carrot top would react.