Bittersweet Berries

Betty was finally feeling better, and in a celebratory moment of happiness, accepted a date invite from Archie. Jughead knew better than to trust Archie around Betty, and made plans to be over at Betty's before the night's end. His house being behind the blondes was helpful in these situations, he could just jump the fence and enter through the back door. Betty's family didn't intervene, they knew that Jughead was somehow therapeutic to the blonde teen, and when she felt down they purposely invited Jughead to comfort her, he even had his own key for emergencies.
  Betty was completely confident in Archie, again. She knew better, she was extremely intelligent and independent, but something about those freckles made her knees weak. It was pretty obvious Betty would be duped out of her date tonight, she could feel it, but as smart as she was, she was also persistent. Her hair today, a half ponytail, with small diamond studs adorning her ears. Today, she didn't dare spend any more money on new clothing, she wore dark denim jeans and a maroon long sleeve shirt. Nothing too impressive, but she did look nice.
  She wore Archie's favorite perfume, a flowery type that he bought for Veronica, but when he discovered that the brunette already owned multiple, he gave it to Betty as a sort of accidental gift. The blonde looked in the mirror, which was decorated in pictures of Archie, a few of her and Veronica, and plenty of Jughead hidden in the corner. She gave soft smile, she might not ever have Archie all to herself, but she could try.
   But, she waited. And waited. Her mother brought her dinner and told her to eat unless Archie came.Betty didn't swallow a bite. Her mother also tried to cheer her up with a plate of her favorite berries she bought at the farmer's market a day before. Betty did like berries. When the plate came to her, Betty plucked a strawberry from its bag. She bit into it. Ew. BitterHer stomach turned into knots, now worsened by the bitter berry she just swallowed. Her head hurt and her heart felt hollow. Again. He left her. Again. He didn't even call or text to tell her he wasn't going. Again. She was ready and on time and made herself extra special for him. Again.
  She felt the tears well up in her eyes again. Her chest swelled. She heard a hearty chuckle. Jughead? No. That laugh was higher than his. She peered out her window. Archie. And Veronica. Walking directly in front of her house. Laughing. As if Betty didn't exist and they were passing by an abandoned home. She banged her window, neither one looked. With the burning anger of over 10 years locked in her heart, she ran down the stairs in her socks, slamming the door open and ran out her house.
  "ARCHIE ANDREWS!"
  A hush went over the neighborhood. A pale-faced redhead stood in front of her in the moonlight. Betty couldn't even see how his freckles shimmered. She didn't even care. Veronica squeezed Archie's hand, like she knew what was going to happen, and she did. Jughead's parents did not hesitate to tell him of Betty's screech from down the block, nor did he hesitate to dress and sprint out the door.
  He saw them. The three of them. Betty's golden hair sparkling in the moonlight, and Archie and Veronica, hand in hand, dry mouths and wide eyes focused on Betty.
  Betty grabbed Archie's hand as the posh brunette released her grip and then clutched her purse to her. Betty's parents were standing in the window watching every second. Their hearts pumping loudly as they awaiting the final moment in which their daughter would finally free herself from the torture that chained her heart for so many years. Please Betty. Please do it. You need it. You deserve better. You need to be happy Betty. Please just say it.
  Tears streamed down the blonde's face as she pushed Archie to face her, Jughead tailing close behind.
  "Archie, I don't know what makes you do these things but-" she choked on her words, every single emotion he ever caused her was about to be released, the anger, the sadness, even the happiness, it would all go into these final moments, where Betty would break her chain.
  She couldn't keep it in, but she couldn't say it either. It was almost like the tide, it pushed it strongly, but before it can wash you away it grazes your toes and returns back to itself, to its icy cold cavity of water until it can splash out again. But, it was high tide.
  "Archie, this question might seem familiar to you but, do you love me or Veronica." She bit her tongue. She knew his answer. The same awkward and frustrating answer. Every single time.
  "Well Bets, you know I can't choose between you two girls, you're both my girls."
  It rang in her ears over and over. It echoed into her heart and left a little bump. It etched itself into the darkest part of her brain. It was finally the last time she would ever hear those words.
  "Archie. You know very well you couldn't marry both of us, you can't love both of us as your soulmate. You can't love two girls. Especially when one tries hard to make you love them and the other does nothing. So Archie, it is with all my heart that I say I will never be 'your girl' ever again."
  It took her quite the breath, but her heart had finally freed itself, she broke the chains. Archie was stunned. He felt a small ache in his chest, like she cut out a chunk of his heart and laughed as she threw it in the trash. He couldn't move. Why? Why did she say that? What is happening
  "Bets I know you're angry but it was a real emergency. Ronnie made dinner reservations and she just couldn't cancel and-"
The blonde grabbed him by his shoulders and shook him softly, "Archie, I don't care. I don't think I love you anymore."
  Jughead couldn't believe his eyes. Archie appeared so dumbfounded, as if him not having two girls was so unnatural, and to him and Riverdale it pretty much was. The redhead looked down at the pavement before he locked eyes with her again, "Please Bets, I don't want to lose you."
  Betty gave a sad smile, the tears still flowing down her pale cheeks, "It's better this way Archie, we can be friends, but I can never be your girlfriend again."
   Archie smiled, "Yea, being friends is great too." He felt her words puncture his chest.
  The blonde smiled. She turned to Jughead, he was smiling too. She ran wrapped her arms around him and wept until she felt like she could cry no more. She was so happy she was free from Archie, and Jughead was happy too. She was free from Archie, she could be happy. Maybe he could finally see if she would be happy in his arms. Captivated by his kisses and weak at the knees at his presence. It wouldn't be easy, but he would do anything for Betty, especially if it ended in her falling in love with him.