Actions Speak Louder Than Words

________________________________________________________________________________

Excuse the mistakes

Enjoy~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 14

“Thanks,” I said as I smiled at the Mechanic, taking the keys from his hands in a polite and friendly way. “How much do I owe you?” I started to dig in my purse, and once finding my wallet I pulled it out. I then looked at him and waited for a reply.

He glanced away from his computer and settled his gaze on me. “Sixty dollars. Pretty good deal, if you asked me. Your engine was out of whack, and because the time we told you it’d be fixed was delayed, we decreased the price,” he informed me with a smile, waiting patiently for the payment.

I sighed, not exactly caring about the price or what the problem was with my car; I just wanted—no, needed my car. I took out a ten and a fifty, and then handed him the money, delivering him the exact change that was needed, and he willingly accepted.

After putting the money in the cash register, he bid me goodbye. And I did the same.

I walked out of the Auto Shop, and just as I did, Old Betsy came in to view. Her old, red, rusty exterior was the first thing that caught my attention, and I grinned widely as I ran over to my beautiful yet ancient BMW. “Old Betsy!” I exclaimed as I hugged my car, ignoring he bizarre stares that I was receiving. “I’ve missed you so, so much!” I quickly unlocked Old Betsy and jumped in, and then let my hands graze across the surface of the steering wheel, feeling the hard, solid texture under my fingertips. And after grinning for the past several seconds, I cranked her up and journeyed down the road with speeding cars and sweating pedestrians. 

I turned into my driveway, and in the corner of my I saw Kayden Maxwell sitting on the porch, a cigarette in his mouth as he gazed up at the grey, smoldering sky, that, like usual, was spitting out white flakes of snow. 

Once I had gotten out of my car and closed the Driver’s Side door behind me, which had shut with a slightly loud boom, Kayden’s eyes flew to me. He took the cigarette from his mouth, and after blowing out a cloud of smoke, he smiled. “Nice car,” he commented, and because of his teasing tone, I knew he was making fun of what my old and out-of-date vehicle looked like.

I glanced over at his red, old truck, which was just as elderly as mine was. “Nice truck,” I resorted, and began to walk his way. “Excited for Christmas?” I planted down next to Kayden, gagging internally after inhaling the cigarette smoke.

I should, in truth, have been used to the cigarette smoke. I had, instead of sitting with my friends—if you can call them that at this moment—during lunch, been with Kayden every day. They, my friends, Brandon, hadn’t been talking to me for about a month, and I hadn’t bothered to try and talk them either, and though I’ve been sad, gloomy, and lonely a lot lately, Kayden had been there to keep me company.

 But I still wouldn’t call us friends.

We’ve talked occasionally, joked lightly, and gotten to know each other better… But friendship? Not yet. Maybe not ever.

I was fine with us being acquaintances, and I knew it would stay like that for a while. Friendship was, at the moment, for the both of us, a deranged theory.

“Nope,” Kayden said as he shook his head. “I hate Christmas. It has no value; it’s just a… pathetic Holiday. I mean, what’s the point?” He shook his head, looking confused, and then threw down the cigarette and squished it with his scruffy converse.