Epilogue

||dedication goes to the wonderful person who made this cover for nwtbb, thank you so much!||

Epilogue

For the past two years, Kayden and I had been sending letters to each other back and forth, calling, texting, emailing. Anything we could possibly to do that interacted with the fact, although we weren't touching, we weren't as far away as some, including us at times, wanted to believe. And Kayden would even come to visit Chicago for holidays and periods throughout the summer.

Even so, relentless to us communicating and being friendly, and something else you would, soon, find out, we weren't together.

Yet.

You might have thought that was stupid. Kayden and I had hurt so many-my family and my friends, especially Mike, his mom. Why would you do all of that, cheat, lie, and to only remain friends in the end? But you shouldn't worry about that, because, we had our reasons. They were efficient, too, by the way. And it all connected to how we should obtain a clean slate, not mourn on the past, as Kayden had strayed away from doing these couple years as he lived with his father, who I found out later on was emitted into gang like activity before jail, and same thing with his mother in which he lived with his entire life, who had been an alcoholic ever since Kayden's father was put in jail but has been sober for the past two years and half, and now he could even control his bipolar disorder with the medicine he was taking that didn't make him feel outrageously different. Then there was me. I had made mistakes like Kayden and Kayden's parents, mistakes of being a bad friend, of being a bad girlfriend. I cheated, and although it was wrong, so very wrong, to me, it had been a fairly good reason. Kayden being that reason, by the way. Anyways, relentless to that, I had to something about it. And I did. I apologized.

I apologized to my parents, my siblings, my friends-Mike-after Christmas. Not exactly after Christmas, but it was somewhere in February. Linda, Jessie, and Mike hadn't forgiven me so quickly-unlike my family-but that was obvious. After a couple months, much to my relief, they did accept my apology. I was content with them being cautious around me, not able to trust me fully, and sometimes I would get a little peeved, but I deserved that-the cautiousness, the hesitance. I, actually, deserved worse. I deserved silence, nothing. They shouldn't have been my friends, not even Lela should have been, and Kayden should have, probably, never come back into my life. But none of those things happened, so I wasn't going to worry about it.

We were passed that drama, attending college now. We graduated from high school this year, in the summer of 2015. Jessie, as all of us had expected, went to community college to learn about the concepts of being a beautician, Lela and Linda went to Stanford, of course, Mike picked a small, tightknit college in Michigan-I even heard Brandon had enough credits, excellent grades, to have the ability to go to Harbored-and me? Well, I believed I was in the place, as of right now, I should be.

Meaning a tiny dorm room located in Wisconsin, at a college called Steven's Point, where Kayden Maxwell both lived at and was attending school at, as I was wrapped into a side hug sitting down by a strong, toned shoulder while I typed on my computer, reciting the past couple years in which had been nothing but a unforgettable yet amazing, opposite attracting tornado.

"I never asked that!' exclaimed Kayden as he stared at my computer screen, mouth agape and eyes squinted. "When did I ever ask about chess?"

I craned my neck, smirking. "You're telling me you don't remember asking the school's counselor about the chess club?" His cheeks rush pink and my smirk widens. "Thought so. Wait, why do you like chess?"

He shrugged, crossing his arms over his chest, obviously embarrassed. "It's fun."

I snickered and then averted back to my writing, fingers floating over the keys in a surprisingly fast manner.

Since my junior year, I wanted to be a writer. A legitimate writer. As in, I wanted to write books-fictional, non-fictional, about my life, about another's life books-because it made me feel good, it made me feel right, like when I was with Kayden. I chose this college not only because Kayden was going here, but because I wanted to excel in my writing, to share my story about being neighbors with the bad boy. This was my clean stare, to obtain something that wouldn't erase my mistakes but would, in some way or another, prove that it was okay that I did make mistakes and that I would continue to, and so would everyone else.

A pair of lips met the side of my forehead, and slowly they began pecking butterfly kisses on one side of my face. I giggled, and slapped Kayden away. We weren't officially a couple-yet-and I didn't want things to progress to fast, even if it had been two years and, somehow, we were both madly, angrily, oppositely in love. "Don't," I told him sternly, but I was still smiling. How couldn't I? "No kissing, not until, you know." I was about to return to the computer screen, but Kayden's masculine, rough hands were holding my face, pulling it to the point where his mouth was merely pressing my own. Memories from my junior year surfaced of kissing Kayden, of craving to kiss Kayden. The mistake but not-so-much-of-a-mistake of making out with him failing to leave me, lingering to the point where it made me insane.

"You know," he whispered, his red lips lightly brushing mine. I closed my eyes. "I haven't asked you what I've wanted to ask you since forever."

My breath hitched. What was he going to ask me? We discussed about not being a couple until we both felt the time was right, and that kissing would be on hold until then. So what. What? "And?" My voice was breathy, rigid, and almost hopeful. Then he leaned in closer, and it was as though I had this magnetic pole pulling me in, but then he swerved and met my cheek.

He was close to my ear as he said, "I wanted to ask you if you were still in love with this sweet bad ass, because I know I'm still in love with the not-so-much-of-a-goody-goody, Elyse." There was nothing but truth in his words. Although we had had this conversation before, I knew he remained curious, eager to know. Yet he should, he should know that I couldn't stop loving him, my once-upon-a-time sweet, caring, bipolar, bad boy neighbor.

I rolled my eyes, smacking him on his shoulder. His expression didn't change. "Kayden, how could I not be? I mean, I'm making a story about us. I am hopelessly, horrible, oppositely in love with you," I stated, then changed the subject. "But I do have a question . . . What do you think I should name my story?"

He stared at the screen for a long time, and then grinned. But before he could answer my roommate Kelly groaned from the bed beside us. "Will you guys shut up, kiss, or go out already?!" She sat up, her sandy brown ringlets bouncing. She was tired, and no doubt cranky. "Actually, just do all three!"

"Kelly," I muttered, amused, "you know that's impossible, right?"

She rolled her eyes and lied back down. "Like I care, just do something!" Then she glanced over at me and Kayden, and sighed, saying, "And name the freaking book Neighbors with the Bad Boy. It's catchy, and from what I can tell-"she surveyed Kayden's leather jacket and tight jeans, then the boots on his feet, and lastly, his hypnotizing black eyes that didn't ever fail to hold mystery"-the guy does kind of look like a bad boy."

"Psh," he retorted, "I am a bad boy."

Kelly and I snorted.

"What! I am!"

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," I chortled, and then smiled. "So, Neighbors with the Bad Boy?"

He nodded. "I like it. It's catchy, captivating."

I nodded back, and did yet again another mistake, I yet again broke another law-I kissed him.

And I liked it.

"So Neighbors with the Bad Boy it is."

a/n

i felt like this story wasn't wrapped up, completed, entirely. so here it is. this is the last chapteer of this book. i hope you enjoyed:D