Focus Frenzy

I ran back to the ship, stopping just on the edge of the forest.  I didn’t particularly feel like explaining what I had been doing, nor did I want to have to deal with another attack at Obsidarian’s hand.  I held my position instead, scanning the deck of the ship for his dark figure.  To my elation, there was no sign of him whatsoever, and I slunk up to the ship, leaping and grabbing the rope to climb up to the top. 

            After my embarrassing encounter with the rogues I was struck even more with learning to defend myself, with a knife today.  The day before when Obsidarian had disarmed me; it had been second nature to fight with the dagger.  It felt as if it were an extension of my arm, the deadly point going exactly where I wanted it to.  I snuck into the gym, feeling like a kicked dog with its tail between its legs.  My cowardice had been an embarrassment to my crew and sex.  I never wanted that to happen again. 

            My creeping and avoidance of my crew members did have a downfall unfortunately.  Upon entry to the gym I discovered it to be completely empty.  I couldn’t spar with a nonexistent opponent, and I knew no maneuvers to put myself through. 

            My eyes settled on the targets pinned against one gym wall.  I had no arrows to shoot with, but I did have my knife.  What was to stop me from learning to throw it on my own?  That would be quite the impressive thing to show off if I could master it.  Obsidarian would never see it coming. 

            A smile crept across my face as I tried to envision a look of slight fear crossing the man’s midnight features.  The result was hilarious, to my mind’s eye he looked like a black bush baby with rippling muscles.  I couldn’t help but laugh aloud at the thought, intimidating Obsidarian as a cuddly bush baby.  I clutched at my sides, and dropped to the floor, the more I thought of it the more the hilarity held me.  Tears sprang to my eyes and I tried to widen my eyes to the extreme proportions that bush baby eyes normally were.  I failed miserably, much to my own amusement. 

            A clatter behind me stopped my mirth abruptly, I was on my feet with my hand on my rapier before I even processed who I was looking at.  It was the girl, the brunette from earlier.

            “M..m…m’lady?  I… I’m so sorry.  I thought the gym was vacant.  I was only going to clean.  I had no desire to interrupt.  I’ll do anything, I…I mean… I’ll go away now… yes.” She managed to stammer out.

            Sobriety settled over me and I looked about guiltily, “If you must clean I can leave you to it if my presence makes you uncomfortable girl.”

            She backpedalled frantically, nearly tripping over herself in her anxiety to reach the door.  “No miss.  I will leave.  I have no wish to infringe upon your works.”

            I stared at the timid girl, resisting the urge to shake some semblance of a spine into her.  But I nodded instead, remembering my position at the last minute.

            “Very well then,” I stated imperiously, “you may go about your duties.”

            “Thank-you m’lady!” she squeaked out, already halfway down the stairs to the servants’ quarters. 

            The silence that followed her departure seemed depressing in comparison to my earlier laughter, but she had gotten me back on task.  I stood roughly 10 feet in front of a target against the wall, rekindling my desire to learn to throw the blade. 

            I took deep breath and threw, watching the knife go end over end before it clattered harmlessly against the wall and fell to the floor.  I walked over, picked it up, and returned to my original spot before trying again.  I held the hilt differently, trying to throw it like a dart instead of allowing it to cartwheel through the air.  The results were equally disastrous to my first attempt, with the point tipping toward the earth far too soon, the point burying itself in the floor near the base of the wall.