FIRESWEET!!!!!

• Dedicated to The silent ones who read but never tell me they are there...... I love you all b

                The spotlights were on, the music pounding in a manner that made the very stage shake with each beat of the bass.  My heart immediately set up a drum beat against the inside of my ribcage as cheers greeted my appearance.  Instead of cringing, I greeted the men with a smile, beginning to wind to the sounds that surrounded me.  Signet ring clasped firmly in my left hand, I found a confidence in the music as the edgy tribal sounds sounded through the modern words.  The words tuned out completely and I opened my hand, showing everyone what I held.  A whisper ran though my body, guiding me as I danced along the stage as the lights blurred and ran together, winking out one by one until the single light shone on my dancing figure. 

                I knew where Mají-jalio was; when I searched within myself I could feel the slight tug of magic that strung between my shackles and the band around his wrist.  I beamed at a few of Vinyé’s pirates as I danced near them, edging through the men toward my handler.  Oddly enough the men seemed silent.  The only sound was the music.  I couldn’t even hear my footsteps on the stone floor.  I closed my eyes, twirling closer and closer to my destination.

                I didn’t open my eyes again until I stood before him.  I did not stop moving, but danced on and around my handler, reaching for his right hand and taking it in my own.  I spun around him, his signet flashing in my other hand as I wove in and out without ever releasing his hand.  He finally stepped into the music, breaking into my maneuvers and twirling me out before pulling me close against him.  My breath caught, and I stopped all movements.  I slid my hand from his and clasped my hand around his wrist, lifting his hand for all to see in the light as I slipped the signet ring onto his finger.  

                “Though the powers of an age older than ours, and the decision of the Griffin himself.  Recognize now, with or without the kingblade, Captain Mají-jalio, King of Pirates!” 

                A roar greeted my announcement, and the lights flicked back on as pirates once more rushed forward to greet the king.  Strangely enough, Mají refused to let go of my hand.  He slipped his hand into mine and pulled me closer to him, nearly breaking my hand in his vice-like grip.  Other pirates fumbled to look at his signet ring, each one wanting to see the sign of our king.  I couldn’t help but flinch at the pressure now. 

                “My king,” I purred.  “Perhaps you would like to celebrate with me tonight?  Live life to all the glories there are for a man of your position without being ogled like a sideshow at the state fair.”

                Mají nodded gratefully and steered us away from the group of eager men, bringing us once more to one of the smaller, silent, side rooms.  He practically slid down the door in relief when he closed it behind us, releasing my hand as if he had only just noticed he had been holding it. 

                “You just…. You didn’t….I mean…. Thank-you.” He said finally.  “It was all getting to be a bit much.”

                I nodded and sat on the bed, studying my handler.  I hadn’t meant to help him.  Had I not promised myself that I would be tamed by no man?  Yet it had almost been a reflex.  Knowing he hated what was happening to him, I had to save him.  I blamed it on him being my handler.  But even now… watching him stare at the far wall, slumped against the door as if that would keep the world at bay… I wanted to make him happy. 

                Slowly, I rose from the bed and crossed over to sit beside him for a moment.  I wanted to speak to him, but knew I would give myself away if I did.  Instead I reached over and lifted his chin gently, turning his face so I could meet his eyes for a moment.  I could see the curiosity in his expression.  He waited, saying nothing to break his exhausted silence.