Think Again

“Must we always practice so far away from camp?” I asked, panting slightly after my run with Obsidarian.

            “Piratess, part of being lethal is being in shape; I’m simply putting two workouts into one,” he answered imperiously.

            “What is the second workout?”

            In answer he tugged a small pouch from his belt, opening it slowly.  Inside were the chocolates I had stolen from Tithe; the ones with mint inside.

            “There’s mint inside,” Obsidarian explained.  “If any person with magic consumes mint it amplifies their power, Captain Mají-jalio and I were hoping that this could help you focus your power.  Nothing would be better than to make you live up to that new title of yours Flame.  This should give you an edge; help us see what you are capable of.”

            He held the little pouch out to me, but I hesitated.  I remembered Briamy’s warning from the conclave, about the magic controlling the person who possesses it. 

            “Is it safe?” I asked. 

            Obsidarian nodded enthusiastically, “This isn’t a potent form, and whoever you stole it from already diluted it for us.  This should only be enough to make you crave more.  It’s a test.”

            I took the chocolate, savoring its cool sweet taste as energy flooded my body.  I felt alive.  I reached out to take a second piece, but Obsidarian snatched the bag out of my reach.

            “Not yet Piratess, I want you to make me a fire.  Put your weapons on the ground.”

            I dropped everything and gathered a small pile from the brush around me.  I held my palm over the pile and closed my eyes, feeling the energy within me. 

            “Fire,” I whispered. 

            The pile at my feet burst into flames.  Obsidarian yelped and jumped backward a few feet.  I watched the fire, watched it dance as it consumed the small pile before going out.  When it was nothing more than a pile of smoldering ashes I held my hand out to Obsidarian, and he dropped a chocolate into it.  I stuffed it into my mouth and grinned at him. 

            “You always underestimate me.”

            Obsidarian laughed and yelled into the surrounding forest.  “You can come out now!”

            Xament stood from a bush and walked into our little clearing, staring at the ashes between my feet.  “Do I have to do this?” he asked.

            “You will if you want your name to go down in history,” Obsidarian warned.  “How many people will get to say they played a part in training Gittoran Flame?”

            “I know,” Xament sighed.  “It’s just… I didn’t realize there was a chance I may die.”

            “I won’t kill you,” I assured him.  “It would be like killing the family pet.  Cruel, unnecessary, and far too much cleanup; I would be covered in colored dust all day!”

            Xament looked worried, but then saw the smile hovering on Obsidarian’s face.  “Was she joking?” he asked Obsidarian.

            Obsidarian burst into laughter, doubling over as he nodded his head.  I walked over to him, trying to help him stand.  As I reached out I moved my hand toward his belt and he smacked me away, suddenly serious.