Raid and Revenge

I trained for the rest of the week either by myself or with Obsidarian.  There were whispers all over camp about the upcoming raid.  Every pirate crew would loot and raid the others in a free-for-all fight and steal-a-thon.  Unfortunately I would probably have to sit this one out.  Mají-jalio’s crew had more structure than others, half of us would get to ransack while the others were forced to babysit the ship and take guard duty.  As a rookie, I had no doubt where my place was.  I knew I would be lucky to even draw my blade against an enemy pirate.  People normally weren’t dumb enough to attack the head pirate’s main base.  

            The day of the raid I gathered with the rest of the crew beneath the bell when Mají-jalio stepped on deck.  He looked twice as impressive from down here as he did from when I was up and viewing him from behind.  He didn’t have to try to build up suspense this time; we had built it up by ourselves.  We all hung onto his every movement as he paced near the wheel.  Each one of us was hoping for our chance to shine and bring back a little fame for ourselves.  I knew that a lot of the fancy hilted blades were fought over during raids like this one.  And this one was going to be huge, the kick-off to the new year of pirating.  Mají-jalio took a moment to pause his pacing and faced us.

            “This year,” he began, “the decision on who to bring on the raid had been very close.  I will be keeping seven of you here on the ship, and will be bringing the other eight with me on our raids.  Those who are going will be immediately reporting to my cabin when I call your name.”

            We all began murmuring down below him; evidently this wasn’t entirely their normal raid routine.  I saw a few irritated glances in my direction; they were obviously going to blame me for this. 

            The captain held up his hand for silence.  “Fame-jujio, Jumé-falio, Xament, Karius, Steel, Forcan, Marsco, come see me.” 

            The remaining eight of us roared up to the wheel, he had forgotten someone.  Mají turned around and winked at us, “I didn’t forget so shut up, come on up Gittoran.”

            An instant silence gripped the crew; identical expressions appeared upon my non-chosen crewmates, one that could have been carved out of granite.  I almost felt guilty for being chosen.  I didn’t want to look like I was a new favorite.  But I wouldn’t turn an opportunity like this down; it would put me beneath the others forever.  I slowly ascended the steps and followed the others into the Captain’s quarters. 

            The little room was packed with the nine of us.  Mají-jalio had to climb on top of the table to be completely visible by everyone.  I stood near the back, but could see Xament giving me a thumbs up and a smile of reassurance. 

            “Can you guys shut your filthy traps for a few minutes?”  Mají-jalio asked.  “By the Griffin, you pirates are always talking.  Listen for a few moments in your miserable lives.”

            We all smiled up at him, pirate humor, I loved it already.

            He continued, “Ok, so here’s the plan, instead of our usual groups of four we now have another pirate with us.  So we are splitting into three groups of three instead.  We will be attacking at three completely different locations, most likely where there are already fights going on.  So Xament, Marsco, and I will be going after Vinyé.  I want Fame-jujio going with Steel and Forcan to hit the rogue and marauder camp while they’re out.  And I do believe we will use Jumé-falio, Karius, and Gittoran to invade Tempest Storm.  Within your assigned target camps you may do as you see fit.   May the Griffin guide your blades”.