Names and Chocolate

Spotlights flicked on and I could hear the roar from the men as other girls were pulled up to the stage as well.  I squinted with the sudden bright light, my ears ringing as the music fell silent.  The girl who had grabbed me seized my hand and dragged me in front of the other girls, calling out to the crowd.

                “Pirates!  The nameless one has been named!  We celebrate!”

                A wave of yells greeted her announcement, through the glare of the lights I could see hundreds of glasses raised in the air.  From among the men I could see the familiar form of my handler shoving his way through to the front stage.  I knew I was in trouble the moment I saw the smirk on his face and his hand upon his band.  He jumped up beside me and turned to face the men beside me.

                “Who owns the nameless?” he cried.

                “Captain Mají-jalio!” the crowd yelled back

                He turned to me, taking one of my hands and twirling me around a few moments before I became limp and fell into his arms.  He dipped me down and brought his face close to mine, winking at me before pulling me to my feet once more.  

                “This is Saldré.  She dances without reserve.  I may own her body, but it is the music that owns her soul.”

                I smiled at Mají-jalio when he turned from the crowd to face me.  The music started up softly and he took my hand, bringing up to his lips. 

                “May I have this dance Saldré?” he asked.

                I nodded and smiled at my handler, twirling close against him as the music picked up to a faster club beat.  The spotlights went out and the strobe lights began to flash.  The girls on the stage all dashed off to a handler or ran to one another, rushing to find a partner.  I moved to the music with Mají, letting the music take me away with him.  He could dance surprising well; reminding me a bit of the last man I had danced with at home. 

                He was charming, he smiled as we danced, and didn’t press me once the dance was through.  Instead he led me to the side of the stage near the door I had entered the conclave from.

                “You can go through there and take a break if you want, you looked pretty tired earlier.” He said, releasing his hold on my hand.

                I stared at him, waiting for the catch to come.  This was not the same handler that had pressed me to dance more was it?  He almost seemed to care.  When he said nothing more I turned and made it as far as the doorway before he called me back.

                “Saldré, you forgot to say goodbye.”

                I glowered at him, then reached up and kissed his cheek lightly before dashing through the doorway to the lounge.  I didn’t give him the chance to correct my action, throwing myself down on a random couch.  The peace was overwhelming for a moment, my ears will still ringing, my heart pounding from the tumult of the next room.

                It only lasted a moment or two, and within a minute I was dozing lightly as I tried to catch up to all that had happened since dawn.  I was interrupted with a light tap to my knee.  I opened my eyes and glared at the short, pale man before me.

                “What do you want Vidan?” I asked, rolling my eyes up to the ceiling so I wouldn’t have to look at him.

                “I want to know what the Captain Mají-jalio finally decided to call you.” He stated, knocking my feet off the couch so he could take a seat beside me.  “I hear you have been quite the success.”