Chapter 15

She stood with her ginger hair up in a bun. If you were looking at her for the first time, she may not look like a manipulative little shrew, but once you get to know her, you wished you hadn't.

"To be completely honest, I really didn't think you were gonna help me." She spoke, bringing a cup of hot chocolate to her lips.

You stared.

"Hot chocolate?" She offered, pushing a mug towards you.

You shook your head. "I'm not in the mood. Just tell me what the plan is?"

"Patience is key, my friend." She laughed.

"We're not friends." You muttered, leaning back in the love seat.

Jess sighed. "But we could be."

"I don't want to be your friend, okay," You snapped. "You hurt me, you tried to take my life away from me, and god, you're really annoying."

She smirked. "Then I have just the plan for you."

It was Wednesday.

After much debate with your mom, you decided to show up to school for the first time since the awful competition. Your mom claimed that one more day of school wouldn't kill you. You argued it would.

Sophie had been dodging your calls and texts. It confused you why she would be ignoring you. She wasn't even on the team.

"Sophie!" You yelled from across the hall.

Her golden hair whipped towards you, revealing her emotionless expression. She sighed when you walked over.

"What is it, (Y/N)," She questioned, tugging at her hair. "I'm gonna be late."

"We're best friends," You spoke. "There doesn't have to be a reason."

"Yes, there does."

"You've been ignoring me," You spoke. "Why?"

Sophie sighed. "(Y/N), I don't wanna hurt you. You've already through a lot."

Your throat ran dry. "Wh-what are talking about?"

"Maybe..." She trailed off. "Maybe our friendship wasn't bound to be forever."

"C'mon, Soph," You laughed. "I'm gonna be late. Quit joking around."

She didn't move. She kept her poker face.

Your heart started racing and tears threatens your eyes. Not Sophie too.

"Oh my god," You muttered. "You're serious, aren't you?"

Sophie merely nodded. "It's was fun while it lasted, but when was the last time we actually talked about anything besides dance?"

"It is was Eliza, wasn't it," You spoke through gritted teeth. "God, that girl is ruining my life!"

"(Y/N)-"

"I can't go thirty seconds without hearing about how perfect and amazing Eliza is! Eliza is so good at turning, (Y/N). (Y/N), Eliza has taken your spot on the team! Sorry I cheated on you, (Y/N), Eliza is amazing. And I can't take it! Everyone's leaving me for her! Paige, Josh, hell, even Mackenzie, who was on my side from day one-"

"(Y/N)," Sophie snapped. You were sobbing by now. "Yes, Eliza did influence my decision-"

You scoffed.

"-But we aren't meant to be friends anymore. Don't think of this as a loss. Think of this as a step in the right direction."

You stated at her. Class had started two minutes ago.