Chapter 39

NOTE; I just wanted to end this story honestly so there will be quite a few jumps but I hope you liked it and thank you for sticking through with me for so long.

Chapter 39 ..

"Nope. Nope. Nope. You cannot wear that." Her dad gestures broadly up and down with one hand as Pierce enters the living room.

She glances down at the outfit she's spent hours agonizing over for her first real date with Xavier since the disaster that was finals. It's just a black tank dress, with a shimmering silver sequined butterfly adorning the chest and neckline. Her step-mom had been with her when she bought it. What could possibly be wrong? Then her eye catches the clock. "I don't have time to change. Xavier is going to be here soon."

Her dad shakes his head, crossing his arms over his chest. "Nope. You heard me. Take. It. Off. Go to your room and change into something else."

Pierce's step-mom rolls her eyes as she crosses the room and pulls Pierce into a hug. "Ignore him, sweetie. You look beautiful."

"Jenny!!"

"William!" She mocks his tone, sending him an exasperated look. "This is a perfectly age-appropriate outfit. She looks wonderful."

"It is not age-appropriate. There are sparkles! Attracting attention to her..." He sputters for a moment before gesturing vaguely, "To her décolletage!"

The intercom buzzes and Xavier announces his presence. Her mom hugs her once more. "You look beautiful." She repeats. "Ignore your father and go have a great time."

{During their date}

They're taking a break in the commons of the massive open-air mall, sitting on the edge of one of the fountains, when the sun seems to vanish by a nearly apocalyptically black cloud. A moment later, the air goes heavier and even more humid than it has been. Xavier feels the hair on the back of his neck seem to stand up and take attention, and most of the other shoppers are quick to gather up their things and either head towards the parking lot or one of the shops. It has all the makings of a good old fashioned downpour.

"We should probably head inside. You wanted to go to that store with the lotions, right?" No sooner has Xavier picked up their bags that there's a bright flash in the sky, the clouds open up in a veritable downpour and he starts to run. When he's several steps away and the thunder rumbles, he realizes that Pierce isn't by his side. He turns around to find that she's standing near the fountain arms outstretched, grinning up at the sky. "Really?" He shouts. "We're in the middle of a thunderstorm and you wanna stop and feel the rain?"

"Not feel the rain!" She shouts back. "Dance in the rain!" She spins around but the skirt of her dress stays plastered to her legs instead of twirling up. "Come dance with me!"

"It's not safe!" On cue another flash of lightning illuminates the sky.

"The storm's miles away!"

And it does take several seconds for the thunder to sound. Even so, Xavier knows better than to mess with big storms like this. "Pierce, you're being crazy. We can dance in the rain some other time. You have to stop."

Pierce is not the least bit deterred, and already the downpour is starting to slow down to become more of a heavy shower. She continues jumping in puddles and spinning and otherwise dancing and enjoying herself. "Come over here and make me."

Xavier sighs and drops the bags (they're already soaked and probably close to ruined anyways) before jogging back to where Pierce is enjoying her moment in the storm. He reaches her and takes her hand, fully prepared to start dragging her towards some form of shelter. "Thunderstorms in the south are not a time to–," Pierce cuts him off by throwing her arms around him, rising on her tiptoes to place her lips on his. The embrace goes on for several moments until she pulls away, happily smiling at him. He can't help but shake his head and laugh. "You're completely crazy, you know that right?"