Twenty

I woke up to see Steven's crown on my stomach. It was cool, because every year, the school gave the crowns to the winners to keep. I quickly got dressed. My dad has to go for physio at the hospital, so I was going to drive him and then visit Steven. I packed Steven's crown into a backpack, along with a few photos.

I ran down the stairs and stuffed down my food. I walked into the garage and started the car. My dad climbed into the passengers side and we drove out the gate. My dad still can't drive yet, he has a cast still on his leg. 

It had been two weeks since the accident. So it will probably take dad a few weeks to recover. He also has to buy a new car, as it was written off, because the accident was so bad.

I could remember the day in the debating classroom where my mom had called me. I knew it back of my hand. One of the worst days of my life. No one deserved it. No one at all. I wouldn't even wish it on Savannah. No matter how much I dislike her.

I put on the indicator to turn into the hospital. I dropped my dad off for the physio, and he was going to call me when he's done. I parked at the entrance closest to where Steven's room is. I walked to the hospital ward, and then made my way to his room. I quickly asked the nurse whether I could go in, and she nodded in approval.

I grabbed my backpack's shoulder straps, holding the crown and picture frames and walked into his room.

The same lump lay on the bed. Only this time, he didn't have as many tubes plugged into him. Finally, I could see his face again, he was wrapped in bandages, which covered all the scratches. I walked up to his bed and sat down. It was so good to see his face again. I tried to resist the temptation to touch his face . I just couldn't. So slowly, reaching my hand out, I touched his nose.

"Three... Two... One.." Steven shouted, and the nose poking fight began. The object was to avoid getting your nose touched and to touch the other person's nose first. He poked my cheek.

"Ow!" I complained.

"I am so sorry! You okay?" I started to shake my head. He came up to me.

"I'm so-" He starts, but I looked at his face and I poked his nose.

"I WIN!" I shouted

"Hey! You're a cheater Lissa!" he shouted. Then we both burst out laughing.

That was our little game. We played it outside in the garden. I loved him so much, my best friend. I laughed through teary eyes. Then, I threw my backpack off my shoulders and zipped it open.

I pulled out the Kings crown. With a high reluctance, I placed it on his bed.

"You know, that you won Homecoming king. Well done buddy. I don't know why you won, because you weren't even there, but you did, and here's your crown." I feel it one last time and put it down next to him.

"You know that the game season is coming to near end. How can the team captain not show huh? That's a very bad example that you are setting here." I scold.

I hesitated for a bit. Was this even worth it? Talking to him? Sitting here in front of his bed. I shake off the thought. Of course it is. I scold myself. How can I think like that?

"You know that they gave me the crown to give to you. I won the title of one of the homecoming princess, and Allison won the homecoming Queen. She so deserved it. Anyway, I am so reluctant to give the crown to you." I laughed.

"I like it how you talk to him, kiddo." a voice said behind me and I jumped.

"For a second, dad, I thought that it was Steven talking."

"Sorry to disappoint you kiddo."

"Dad, you didn't disappoint me. Okay, wait, a little, but I could never be disappointed with my dad."

He just laughed. "Thank you Mel."

"So, how was the physio? Did she kill you?" I asked.

"Sure feels like it, but don't tell mom that!" My dad stated, with a bit of humor in his voice. I laughed. I'm so happy to have my dad back. I missed his jokes.