Twenty Three

We got a lot of death stares form nurses as we walked to Steven's room. I walked in first. Then many followed. I put a finger to my lips. Many boys nodded.

"Hey Stevie, it's me again. I bought you a surprise. Wait for it..." I said out loud.

I signalled with my hands. 3...2...1...

"Hi Stevie!" The football teams said at once. I looked hopefully at the bed. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Each of Steven's friends spoke individually to him. Then, finally, after about half an hour later, the boys started to leave the room.  As each one slowly left my hope started to die away. I thought this would help. As the last one left, I slumped into my chair sadly.

A tear slid down my check. I dropped my head down. Everything was falling apart. Everything. My walls, my future, my hope. I have nothing left.

A loud sop escaped my throat. Then the tears started to fall. I walked outside, not caring about the silly stares of pity, and the tears marking my vision.

Another sob sounded in the parking lot. However, this time, the whole two football teams started to crowd around me. And eventually, I was stuck in a group hug around 20 or so boys. A sense of worth came over me.

The one thing that I have learnt form this experience, now, is that hope is stupid. Hope for less, and suddenly, when more comes, it lightens up your day. That more that is supposed to come. I hope. It's sounds so silly now. However, I am still waiting for it, still wishing for it to come true.

The boys were slowly being fetched until it was just Matthew and I. Great.

"You know, you look nice in that uniform." Matthew pipes up. Oh man, I really wish Allison was here.

"Ummmm... thanks." I said back.

A heard a car hoot.

"See ya gorgeous." He said with a smirk.

I waved and rolled my eyes.

I felt my phone vibrate. I looked down.

Hey kiddo, can u stay with Steve for a bit? Running a bit late. Dad. Xxx

Sure Dad, luv ya.

I walked back inside to Steven's room.

I sighed. I walked over to the bed.

"You know what? I starting to find that this is so stupid, coming to visit you. What I do to myself every time I walk into this room, is it worth it? You know what Steven? I have tried to keep up my hope. I have tried, to believe that somehow, you will wake up!! I come here, more than once a week, and what do I get? I just get broken down even more, that I was before. My hope, for you is looming around zero. I brought a whole, no two whole freakin football teams in here for you. You know what? I don't even know why I am talking to you. It is just a waste of time." I shouted at him enraged.

I spun around and started to walk to the door. I really hope that dad is herhere to fetch me. I can't bear to wait here with Steven, for any longer.

As I opened the door, I heard a beep. A ruffel, a sigh.

I spun on my heel, and eyes wide I looked at the dead weight on the hospital bed. I had imagined it. I know I had, because all that I could see was the silly lump of a former Steven on the bed. A skinny, pale Steven.